Southern Stiletto Snake Byte

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Southern Stiletto Snake Byte

Postby cvanvollenstee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:46 am

Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here it goes.

What is the effects of a Southern Stiletto Snake (location : Kalahari) bite. What venom is in that bite?

My girls boss is bitten by one and is flown to Eugene marais for treatment.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Southern Stiletto Snake Byte

Postby Aaxel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:28 am

cvanvollenstee wrote: What venom is in that bite?

Ive been bit before so I think it is mainly cytotoxic
also you said she is gonig to get 'treatment' all they did for me was to give me a few booster shots of tetanus and rabies then they put me on a drip for the night with the bite site on ice. Then I got medication that I had to take for the next few weeks. I recoverd after three weeks without complications.
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:47 am

Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 am

Bites from Actractaspis sp vary from person to person and snake to snake. They are typically cytotoxic in nature, with intense inflammation normally involving the whole of the affected limb being common. There is often accompanying necrosis around the point of envenomation, and this can range from a small lesion to affection the whole digit or part of the hand or foot. Sometimes this is treated conservatively, but when it is more severe, surgical debridement of the area may be required to clean off the necrotic tissue and promote granulation of the wound. The bites are quite painful and strong analgesia is usually required, as is strong broad-spectrum antibiotic cover to prevent secondary infections.
Due to the problems that can arise from significant tissue destruction, the by products released into the body can affect the kidneys, so measuring fluid input and urine output to monitor kidney function is essential for at least the 1st 72hours after any cytotoxic bite, and then further if necessary depending on the severity of the bite and the reaction of the patient. Antivenom is not indicated for use in bites from Actractaspis sp. The majority of people bitten by these snakes respond well to symptomatic treatment, with little to no long term effects, other than some scarring over the affected area, but more severe cases have resulted in the amputation of part of or the whole affected digit.
As far as I know, the one or two deaths were the result of secondary complications and were in children as well. Your average healthy adult should have no major complications. The wound area can take several weeks to heal properly and it is a slow process, and often quite uncomfortable. Good luck.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cvanvollenstee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Wow Thanks for the info. That first post looks baaaaaad.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club