rock monitor in Oudtshoorn?

rock monitor in Oudtshoorn?

Postby snake kid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:23 pm

have any one heard of monitors in the Oudtshoorn area? my mom and a friend of hers went for a walk on a farm 15km out on the Mosselbay road and said they saw a huge almost meter long lizard run out in front of them, so my first thought was rock monitor. I'm still going to go investigate myself but just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of them being in the area.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Re: rock monitor in Oudtshoorn?

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:31 pm

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:10 pm

They are very rare here but they are around - like padlopers and molesnakes. The army okes see them often but apparently they are too fast to catch.

This is a news article from last year where one was found in the Southern parts.
http://www.diehoorn.co.za/2010/02/25/li ... t-skarrel/
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:34 pm

it_bit_me wrote:They are very rare here but they are around - like padlopers and molesnakes. The army okes see them often but apparently they are too fast to catch.

Thank goodness for that, the last thing any one wants is a bunch of army guys catching lizzards and stuff in an area where their populations are small. And if the were not so fast they may have become dinner in some houses.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:47 pm

That's the case even with Marsh turtles . The stinkfoot doesn't guarantee they will get away- it's the part they like the most.
If you stay in one place a long time you will notice how animals disappear over time.Last time I saw an molesnake was 15 years ago.
Padlopers 2-3 years- Geometrics 1 year and we even had an unconfirmed filesnake here 15 years ago .
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rubida » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:22 am

Snake kid, After my publication in 2005 (Els, J. 2005. Varanidae: Varanus albigularis albigularis (Daudin, 1802). Geographical distribution. African Herp News 38: 32.) I found several more specimens in and around the Oudtshoorn area and two in the Klein Brak area in late 2008. They are more common towards Beaufort West and Prins Albert.

A photo of one in Oudtshoorn:
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Thats good to hear me and it_bit_me will go have a look and see whats going on.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder