rodent water feeders

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

rodent water feeders

Postby scales » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 am

Hi does anyone know where I can get nipples for a central watering system for my rodents, It just takes to long to fill each individual water feeder.
scales
SA Reptiles Member

Re: rodent water feeders

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Scales, if you do a google search on rodent watering system. There is step by step intstructions on how to make a watering system. I also wanted to do something like that but clearly I'm not very good at discribing the parts I needed because the guy at the hardware store looked at me like i'm talking French. So I rather bought large water bottle's with the drinking nipple on them.. No mess and easier to use
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 am

Try Agrimark in Durbanville ,I bought the nipples from them a few months back .I think they are designed for some other type of farm animal so try not to mention rodents because when I did that the guy just thought I was waisting his time.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:30 pm

I have used them in the past and found them to be more of a nuisance than they are worth. They will occasionally jam shut and supply the cage with no water, a fact you only notice when the mice are dead. Other times they will jam open and flood the cage. This is easier to notice because the cage is full of water and dead mice.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nineve » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am

What is wrong with the old fashioned bottle with a 3mm hole in the lid?
It's a dime a dozen, easy to make, really doesn’t look bad and you can choose the size of the bottle.
I use this system and I find it much more convenient than the nipples.
Like S4A said, they get blocked or flood your cages and your younger mice find it difficult to drink from it. It’s also a mission to clean!

This is my routine and I find it easy and sufficient:

There is one set on top of the cages and another set waiting to replace the empty ones.
I haven’t had one death and the youngsters also don’t have any problems drinking from it.
I’ll try to take some pictures sometime and post it.
Crazy, not stupid...........
Nineve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 am

I had them also on my rat cages but I do not know what they did at night but with shaking the water dripped out
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nineve » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:05 am

Maybe the holes in the bottle were too big?

I had the same problem with the mice cages, I replaced it with new bottles with smaller holes and it works perfect.
Crazy, not stupid...........
Nineve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scales » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanx all for your replies! I used to use the botle with the hole in but we have smaller tub systems and about 300 pairs of mice! I need something that is gna save time.
scales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedPixiePunk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:00 am

I would love to see pictures of your watering systems, I am having huge problems with mine becUse the mice claw holes in all my bottles and I have no replacements. I bought out my town and even travelled to the states and the store there us sold out. :(. I don't want to lose anymore mice!
@redpixiepunk
RedPixiePunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Lixit and crystal bottles are good because they have the best nozzle.If you get a 300ml and up bottle it will water 20 mice for 2-3 days.

Don't order from this place http://peticious.com/ I made the mistake of buying there and it seems it was a fake company.

And lastly where do you live?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedPixiePunk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 am

All our bottles have been chewed through. I live in Canada. We dont want to spend a fortune on bottles though
@redpixiepunk
RedPixiePunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 am

I use 1.25l coke bottles, the glass ones! I bought a stack of the cheap watering tubes also glass, but they were too small, after experimenting a bit, I found that the nipples fit snugly into the coke bottles and viola problem solved! Getting the bottles to stand was another mission, and will have to be changed again when the rack is finished, they are heavy and not easy to get standing on top of the mesh, at the moment they are standing against some bricks for support, but this was the best temporary solution I could think off.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedPixiePunk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 am

What kind or brand of nipples? We are thinking about just building our own system, attempt #1 is tomorrow, we shall see how it goes!
@redpixiepunk
RedPixiePunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scales » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:35 am

We have tried a lot of different options to get our own watering system going! and no success, if you do manage to succeed in this please let me know what you have done. At the moment I am using normal bunny feeders, i drill a hole through the one side of the tub and simply stick it through. But time is a problem as we need to fill them ever so often. I have also managed to source a company that sells nipples but damn they are expensive, it costs around R170 per nipple!!!
scales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 am

Replacement nipples cost more than the whole bottle so it's best to buy them complete. If your thinking of a big water container with nipples running from tubes then the ones with the ball-bearing inside will do just fine.
Look at Crystal De-Luxe.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile cuisine