My eyes deceive me!

My eyes deceive me!

Postby Smeegle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Hey everyone,

I bought a huge Southern Brown on gumtree a while back:

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=24227

Anyway, I just walked into my workshop (where my snakes are kept) to fetch something and happened to look into the old girls cage... I stared for a while, walked out, then walked in again and it was still there!

(This pic was taken later in a tub to make things easier)

First thoughts were, the old girl has been hibernating for a few months, maybe she laid eggs that have now hatched? No! They give live birth? Of course not! Ok, where the hell does this oke (it' a male) come from?

Fair enough, the top of her cage is 10mm mesh, but it is mounted 1.6m from the floor! Are you telling me the amorous male somehow scaled the wall and got into the cage? Is it a case of "love will find a way"?

The mind boggles, any theories are welcome!

P.S. I have left things the way they are, he is welcome to leave the way he came in!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My eyes deceive me!

Postby vuduman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Very cool!Imagine you had a single female Angolan python in there!I must say.Out of all the snakes I have ever kept,eggeaters are the best at escaping.Maybe he will dissapear again after the deed is done :)
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby treegecko » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 am

well if he does leave he will leave you with offspring.
treegecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Groenslang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:20 am

Very nice! I am sure you are not complaining! :lol: He does look like a midget compared to her, but then again she is a huge lady! If the "amorous" (well put!) male is up to the task, please put me on the proverbial list for a pair! Need to expand on my egg eater collection.

Was he still there when you checked this morning?
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:16 am

Hahahah. Now that's just great, lucky guy snakes come looking for you. You've probably got 5 Star enclosures.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 am

It is possible that he has been sharing the cage with her for months already so I'm sure they have "got it on"!

Ferdo, that is exactly what I am pondering. This male obviously picked up some kind of "scent" given off by my female, possibly from a very long distance away. So now, I have a female rinkhals too. Does that mean that every male in a 5km radius is going to be trying to get into my workshop?

Ooer, I have a female puff adder as well..... :)
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Groenslang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Smeegle wrote:So now, I have a female rinkhals too. Does that mean that every male in a 5km radius is going to be trying to get into my workshop?

Ooer, I have a female puff adder as well..... :)

You have to start using hook sticks to pick up things in your workshop! A sheet of wood may just have an visitor underneath! :lol:
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:25 am

Cool story. Post us a pic of the cage setup please! Never heard anything quite like it. Buy one get one free! (and hopefully many more.)
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 am

I have never heard of that before but I am glad it happened to you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 am

Durban Keeper wrote:Cool story. Post us a pic of the cage setup please! Never heard anything quite like it. Buy one get one free! (and hopefully many more.)

Hey DK,

Here is quite an old pic of the setup in my "man room", but it will give you an idea. The brown is in the top right tank:

I've since added locks to all the cages...

But anyway, needless to say I checked if Mr Casanova was still around but it came as no surprise that he is nowhere to be found! I swear, If I ever catch him in the streets - treating a lady like that! That's the problem with males today, it's always a case of "knock en waai", just no commitment anymore! :D
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:06 pm

any eggs ever came from these?
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:16 am

Nothing yet hey. It seems like they behaved themselves:(

How long should it take for the eggs to come? It's been 3 months already.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Cant believe I missed this amazing story. Unbelievable but not something that happens everyday. Reminds me of the day I found a wild BHS in my Burm's cage. Do you still have the male?
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Nope. When I got home that day after work and checked, the ninja snake was nowhere to be found...
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:27 pm

He didn't even call, such a bastard, he just used her. LOL
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Egg eaters (Dasypeltis sp.)