Bosveld kobra kowboys bitten again!

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Bosveld kobra kowboys bitten again!

Postby monopeltis » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:50 pm

I heard from numerous reports that one of our famous kowboys was bitten again.... this time a copperhead and is now in ICU. Any news?

We need to stop this, it's not a joke anymore.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bosveld kobra kowboys bitten again!

Postby Rodwraylva » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:15 am

Sad I'd say, we are careful, then we get use to it, and get to at ease, then we make mistakes. I do not handle venomous snakes at all, never tried... but when I have experience with it, I would love to do it. I just hope I do not get stupidly at ease...
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:22 am

Rumour has it that it was a Water moccasin. They were looking for antivenom and were confident they would get some locally and be able to use this. Yeah right on their budget?

At some stage they must realise they should not be allowed to keep anything more dangerous than a slikworm.

I also blame the authorities for either giving them permits or not prosecuting them for not having permits. Either way somebody needs to put a stop to this madness.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby dasie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am

It was a Water moccasin, no ICU already out of the hosp. Selling all my snakes I am not ready to have or handle venomous snakes. Sorry for creating a lot of problems for the reptile community. I am finished for now. Rather be bang jan then dooie jan. :smt075 I am going to take a picture of the bite site every second day and post it.
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:20 am

Very mature (and wise) decision.

I really hope you keep to your word. It would be better for you and the entire hobby, as every single venomous bite tarnishes our reputation.

Well done.

I dont keep venomous snakes either and there is a multitude of very rewarding, rare and expesive non-venomous to keep so maybe think twice before quitting the hobby alltogether.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Dont sell all your snakes just get rid of the venomous ones. As Westley says there are tons of non venomous ones that are great to keep.

If you want something feisty you can look at things like Boigas who will keep you on your toes and teach you a bit of fang avoidance for the future too.

Glad you did not have any serious effects. You will hate life if your kidneys and liver take a knock and you have to give up sport etc because of something as silly as a snake bite.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Well Dasie a very mature decision indeed. I agree, don't give up on herps yet, there is a huge variety of species out there and they don't have to have venom to be interesting or give you a rush.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dasie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:10 pm

i am only keeping my sedge viper and boa. I will put the rest in the classifeids ASAP
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Thank you for doing this! But if you are going to do this....commit 100%. Get rid of the Sedge Viper. If you could get bitten by a Cotton Mouth (a snake with pathetic strike range and more bark than bite) then it is highly likely that you would get tagged by the Atheris, that has a lot longer strike range and higher likelihood of trying to bite you. Plus not much is known about Atheris venom... and hell knows how your body is going to react from being envenomated several times now.

And!! You will probably get more money back by selling the sedge...you could not pay me enough to keep a cotton mouth.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:34 pm

By reducing the number of venomous, he's already reducing the risk of being bitten. Some tips for those that do may be of general use.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:41 pm

If I had to go to one of these hospitals I would most likely die. That sedge viper bite sounds really scary, even more so if you live where I live.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club