Spotted Python STILL not eating on it's own!

Spotted Python STILL not eating on it's own!

Postby Bianca » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:16 am

Hi everyone,

My friend bought a spotted python at the JHB expo at the beginning of the year. It has never been able to eat on it's own.

I have been looking after it for quite a few months now and each week I have to force-feed it - not an easy task! I have tried on numerous occasions to leave a pinkie in his tub overnight, but nothing. I have also left him without food for a couple of weeks, and then leave the food in his tub overnight. No, he doesn't even acknowledge the wriggling pink thing in his home.

I don't know what to do. I am very reluctant to give him back to the original owner as he knows very little to nothing about how to feed this little guy, but I'm also trying to downsize. I've recently had to give away one of my Boa's due to space, so this little guy really can't stick around for too long, unfortunately. :(

Any suggestions would be GREAT!! He's still tiny, even though he does get his food, it's very minimal and I honestly don't think he's grown since he was purchased. I'm obviously really worried about what's going to happen to him if he doesn't eat on his own soon, so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Spotted Python STILL not eating on it's own!

Postby Westley Price » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:39 am

Bianca, the smaller pythons sometimes have trouble feeding when still young.

One has to remember that in the wild they would probably take lizards when still small. I recall a post where you mentioned you have Lygodactylus geckos outside your place? Possibly catch a gecko, "steal" his tail and rub a washed pinky with the blood from the gecko tail. Cover the pinky as much as possibly. He doesn't have to drip blood, but just be covered in the scent of the tail.

Then do exactly the same as you were doing before, leaving the scented pinky with the snake overnight.

Another thing to consider is to have the owner contact the original seller to ask how he was feeding them. I can't believe someone would sell a non-feeding snake at the expo.

Good luck!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby herpcrazy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:36 am

I see u already tried live pinkies. If the enclosure is too big they can feel insecure and also not eat. Scenting with lizards is also a good idea. What I tried once and it worked is cutting open the skull of a dead pinkie, the smell of blood sometimes get them going. If the temperature is too low they will also strugle to eat. Also try feeding at night time. Most snakes are nocturnal and will feed best at this time. U can also give them live lizards like geckoes, but the problem with this is that once they take on this they might struggle to go back on mice. Also make sure the snake is not dehidrated.
Anyway, hope this helps. It is what I have tried in the past and had success with.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Try the ideas mentioned they work quite often. In my experience force feeding/assist feeding will eventually help them eat on their own when nothing else works.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Try putting the snake in a pillow case.
I find this works better than a plastic container.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Rat pinks. Simple.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bianca » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks, I will try the above!

What would people like me do without people like you? :)
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)