Need advice on heat cable

Need advice on heat cable

Postby JohanR » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Hey Guys

I am an old hobbiest with snakes (ball pythons) and I use to use snake cages that was imported from London. But now my collection seems to be out growing them and would like to start my snake racks. I have done some research and this forum has been great! But there are a few "bugs" I can’t work out.

A friend gave me Zoo Med Repti Heat Cable (50 watt 7m). I know I need to have a regulator and will be using a electrical dimmer for this. The problem i have is how many times will I need to run them underneath 11l tubs to get the correct heating spot. It seems that 1/3 of 1/4 seems to be correct size underneath the tubs so how many times do i need to run the cable in that, let’s say 10cm spot?

I worked out in 10 cm I’ll be able to run the cable 4 times with a spacing of 2cm's. Something like in the picture.

If any 1 could give me some advice I’d really appreciates it.
JohanR
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Need advice on heat cable

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:47 pm

I use an 20 Watt cable with 2 lines running 5cm apart. The heat builds up in the tub and wood so spacing them too close is not needed. With my setup the snakes don't really sit on that side because it still gets too warm.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:27 am

Rather use a thermostats than a dimmer because then you can set it for certain temperature and not just "30% less than normal" which needs tweeking all the time.

We also have local heating cables which work out a lot cheaper than the imported ones.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby JohanR » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Ok thanx, I see you get 1 at the petshop thats round and gray, aparently thats not a bad 1. Ill get 1 of those. But still, how many times do I need to zig zag the heating cable.
JohanR
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:18 pm

There is 3 lines running under the 20 and 30 liter tubs and 2 under the 8 liter. Both cables are 20 watt. This is enough heat to keep them eating in winter and also if you want to shift your water bowl over it before a shed.

I have about 5 cm of shavings in every tub so the snake can choose whether he wants to lay on top or inside the shavings.If you want a big snake in it you can cover more of the bottom.

There is space in front of the tub in-case I want to have it off the cable. This is half way off.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JohanR » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:35 am

wow thanks alot for the great advice Uwe! Ill be going 3 wires 3cm apart then with a thermostats ill regulate the correct temp. Thanks again for the advice.
JohanR
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:29 am

After routing the groves for the wire, you can use aluminium tape to stick in it first work it into the groves, then lay the cable inside. This helps to get all the heat for the tubs instead of loosing any heat to the wood. This is especially helpful during winter.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 am

Now there's a good tip. It will fill the last millimeter in the groove.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JohanR » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:27 pm

I saw peaple using it, but i am yet to find any. Any 1 know were i can buy it? I only saw the foil zinck sealing tape.
JohanR
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:24 pm

I found some in Pretoria at a place there, they took over the old timber city, I have no idea what the new name is, will check tonight on my way home when I drive past there. It is a bit expensive, but it will be worth it as you can get done with less strips, or if you can't router the grooves, you can place the wire between them and make your own heat "strips" not sure how that will affect he heat emitting though.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:59 pm

The thickness of an sawtable blade is also very close to perfect for the ordinary R30 cables we use.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques