Tortoise ID

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Tortoise ID

Postby illu » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi,

I found a tortoise in my garden and after looking at some pictures I assume it is a Cape Angulate Tortoise.

Could someone please confirm this and also tell me the age and sex of the tortoise? I dont really know anything about them and was also wondering if the redish patches at the bottom are natural or due to disease or parasites? Also is it save for the tortoise to stay in the garden, or should i bring give it in somewhere? Finally, it seems to always walk back to the pool pump and its cover and lies directly underneath the pump. I assume it is because of the warmth of the pump, but could the noise and vibration :smt021 hurt the tortoise?

Milnerton-20111003-00201.jpg

Milnerton-20111003-00198.jpg

Milnerton-20111003-00199.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
illu
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Tortoise ID

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:43 pm

It looks like a adult female Angulate tortoise. The red in normal. In Afrikaans they are also called rooi-pens skilpad meaning red bellied tortoise.

If she is happy by the pump then leave her. She will know if something is bad for her.

Do a search here for food stuffs for tortoises and then you can supplement her diet.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Tortoise ID

Postby Westley Price » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:08 am

Very cool find.

As BV said, probably a female, but if you want to determine yourself in the future, look at the tortoise's belly.

If the belly is flat, it is probably a female and if the belly is concave (hollow), it is a male.

The reason for this is that the male has to mount the female during mating and the concave shape helps the male stay on the female.

This method works for most species of tortoise.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians