Accidental Hybrid

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

Accidental Hybrid

Postby rolandslf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:15 am

There is a story behind this cross. The female is a Hybrid, namely, (Albino Calking x Banana King x Albino Corn). The intention was to cross my male Sinaloan Milk with her and create 4 way Hybrid offspring. I had my male Sinaloan in a tub with her for 4 hours and he showed no interets at all. I pulled her out and tried to probe her, unsuccessfull, the anal shield was locked down, I thought okay, maybe she has a retained sperm plug or something. My pair of Kings had just completed their third successfull hookup and had just parted from each other. I put the Hybrid female in the kingstub and removed the female striped Calking and went to put her back in her own tub. This could not have taken more than 20 seconds, in fact, I had not even put the lid on the tub with the pair in it yet.
I turned around and lo and behold, they had already hooked up. I am very dissapointed in the Sinaloan, and yes, he is a he. Confirmed by Westley, Byron and Myself. One small compensation, I will get Albino Hybrids from this pairing.

Here are some pics of the Hookup.

It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Accidental Hybrid

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:50 am

That hybrid does not look like it has any corn in it? Are you sure about that?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby monopeltis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:25 am

Also, how would it be a 4 way hybrid? Albino cal king and Banana cal king are the same species.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:26 pm

BV - I purchased it as a Hybrid with 25% Corn Blood. I also thought it to be a straight Cal x Banana King.
Monopeltis - After doing a bit of checking up, you are right. It would only be 3 way.

I cannot however declare the offspring of this cross a pure king, because I purchased the female as a Hybrid.
A possible way would be to look at the offspring produced, if they are Albino, then since the Calking and Corn Albino gene is compatible, we can to a greater extent label the babies as Hybrids. The fly in the ointment here is that if this female is het Albino we would get Albino offspring anyway, albeit only about 50% of the offspring.

I will never know for sure the answer to BV's question, but am not prepared to take the chance and label the babies as pure kings.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Wouldent this be a two way hybrid? since there is only cal king and corn snake in the mix?is there a name for this type of hybrid?or would the offspring be dilute albino jungle corns?
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Well, it is being disputed on whether this is a Hybrid at all. If a Hybrid, yes it is only a two way. We are talking three way if I manage to introduced the Sinaloan blood into the mix. As to what you would call the offspring, I have no idea.
I am now toying with the idea of crossing this same male king with my Creamsicle Corn to make some Albino Jungsicles.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby @ndy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Roland, that male seems to a pimp in your collection he gets around to all the lady's, :D

Congrats anyway on the lockup.
http://www.reptitracker.co.za

0.1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli
1.1.4 Thamnophis marcianus
0.1.0 Lampropeltis getula getula
1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula californiae
@ndy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:37 pm

either way those are some really good looking snakes man love that stripe all the way down
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 am

Second Hookup Friday 14 October 2010 for 2 hours.
I will try for one more hookup this evening.

The proof.

Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies