Snake & Crocodile relocation in KZN

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Snake & Crocodile relocation in KZN

Postby mich » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm

I hope someone can help me...
I work for an environmental consulting company and there is a mining company that is planning on mining the mineralised sand dunes on the KwazuluNatal coast. They want to relocate all the African Rock Pythons, Gabon Adders, Giant Bull Frogs and Nile Crocodiles in the area. Can anyone help me with a contact for someone who does this kind of larger scale relocation?
Thanks, I'd really appreciate the help.

michelle

michelle.armour86@gmail.co.za
mich
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake & Crocodile relocation in KZN

Postby Fooble » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Where about on the KZN coast i presume you are referring to northern Kwa Zulu Natal?
Pyxicephalus adspersus - African bull frogs do not occur in Kwa Zulu Natal though?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mehelya » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Fooble, they do, actually. There are some near where I am, and in the Newcastle area. ;)
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 pm

This sounds very wrong to me - what do KZN Wildlife say about this, do they have an input? And why so selective with species? That whole dune ecosystem is delicate. What does the Enviro impact study conclude? I would love to see it.
I assume a study was done to include the ecosystem as a whole, if not then this spells disaster. Possibilities of genetic pollution if animals are moved etc etc. Perhaps you can give us more details. Most important where is the location.
Sorry to be cynical but with the selected species as stated it sounds like a public relations excercise rather than a concerted conservation effort.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Scavenger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Is this by any chance the Mtunzini mining you are talking about?? I believe there have been some sketchy dealings with this in recent weeks. I'm sure they wouldn't be that selective on species and if you do work for the environmental consulting company you should have access to the environmental impact assessment which should be open publicly, could you possibly make it available to us as I would also love to read through it.
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mich » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:54 am

The reptile species I mentioned are the protected or endangered species found in that area. There will also be a bird relocation of more than 10 species as well as otters and even fish.
mich
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:32 pm

I would assume this would all have been taken care of in the EIA which had to have been approved by the relevant authorities. These are TOPS animals and the Department of Environmental Affairs has to be informed and consulted with in this regard. If they touch that area without approval the fines are R200 000 and or 20 years. I would not want to take that responsibility on by myself.

Contact the Department in Pretoria before you do anything.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Problem Reptile Removals