Some questions on B. rhinoceros

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Some questions on B. rhinoceros

Postby Mr Venom » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Hey everyone I have a few questions on the Rhinoceros adder(Western Gaboon adder).
My internet has been giving me problems so I couldn't do much research on the subject, ok here are my questions.

Do you require a permit to keep the B. Rhinoceros species?
Are the markings under the eyes and the horns the only differences between B. Rhinoceros and B. Gabonica?
Is there a difference in the venom toxicity between B. Rhinoceros and B. Gabonica?
Are there only two sub species of the Gabonica family?
What is the main species of the gabonica family?

I hope someone can help me, the reason I am asking about the species is because I would like to know more about them and try to somehow study them (for knowledge reasons) and because I have seen so many of them in snake parks, I am not planning to get or keep one(I am still young and inexperienced to keep a deadly animal like this) and any extra information is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Lutvo
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some questions on B. rhinoceros

Postby RedGhecko » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Some of these questions I am not 100% sure of the answers but I certainly do know the answer to a few. Feel free to correct me.

Do you require a permit to keep the B. rhinoceros? B. rhinoceros is only found in Western Africa and naturally does not occur in South Africa, therefore you do not require a permit.

Are the markings under the eyes and the horns the only differences between B. rhinoceros and B. gabonica? The only physical differences between the two, are that B. gabonica has a second, large teardrop under they eye where as B. rhinoceros has only one teardrop under the eye (although I've seen B. rhinoceros with similar marking under the eye except that the second teardrop was much smaller). B. rhinoceros has a much more clear set of horns than B. gabonica and also B. rhinoceros is larger in size than B. gabonica.

Is there a difference in the venom toxicity between B. rhinoceros and B. gabonica? No, but it seems quite logical to me that because B. rhinoceros is larger than B. gabonica it may be that B. rhinoceros has a higher venom yield than that of B. gabonica (highly unlikely, just my own thought though), but that doesn't make the venom more potent.

Are there only two sub species of the Gabonica family? Yes
Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather
RedGhecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:32 am

The main species of the Gabonica family would probably be B gabonica, as B rhinoceros used to be a sub-species of that B.g. rhinoceros until it was elevated to its own full species. B gabonic is also spread much more widely across africa than B rhinoceros
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 am

Thank you for answering my questions RedGhecko and Sico you guys helped me a lot, but I have one more question is B. Rhinoceros under threat like B. Gabonica?
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedGhecko » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:36 am

Mr Venom wrote:I have one more question is B. Rhinoceros under threat like B. Gabonica?

The only reason B. gabonica is threatened in South Africa, is because of its limited range. In North Africa B. gabonica is relatively common and therefore B. gabonica and B. rhinoceros
is not under protection in North Africa where they occur. B. rhinoceros does no naturally occur in SA so it's not protected here and its considered as an exotic specie of snake.
Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather
RedGhecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56 am

Oh ok, that is understandable thank you RedGhecko.
So then they are only under threat in SA for the limited range, but are common in Northern Africa, that is a relief I would say I hope to see them in the wild in future years.

Thanks for the help RedGhecko.

Kind regards

Lutvo
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive