Feeding baby egg eaters.

Re: Feeding baby egg eaters.

Postby Leebo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:40 pm

I have just acquired a juv. egg eater. Where would I go about getting finch eggs? I am CT based.
Leebo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby John Rees » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:00 am

The male is a champ with feeding, really easy to work with, the female on the other hand is a handful! Haha! But I love the species! As soon as I know what is happening next semester I wil be building the aviary!

If you have a couple of small eggies you really don't even need an aviary. Just get a smallish bird cage and a pair of Zebra Finches with nesting box and I reckon you will have enough eggs to keep those two snakes going without a problem.

As you will notice from previous posts, I tube fed a couple of little ones for quite a long time before finally sorting myself out with a couple of cages and 4 pairs of finches and 2 pairs of Chinese Button Quail. They just gave me too many eggs and in the end too many babiy birds too!! Now they take up more time than my snakes..Ha!

I have also bred out a few D.scabras and the tiny babies will take a finch egg without a problem.....amazing! I also notice that they grow far more quickly on eggs than being tube fed. Someone also mentioned this to me previously. It may not be scientifically proven but just my 5 cents worth. And it is less hassle and far less stressful on snake and owner.

Just another issue on feeding during winter. The chap I originally got eggs from mentioned that his son used to keep all sorts of snakes but really battled to keep the eggies alive. I believe it may have had somehting to do with feeding them during winter? I leave mine now to chill out for 4 - 5 months and then only start feeding them once it starts warming up. They really can go for ages without food and over winter they don't seem to lose condition.

Hope you have plenty of enjoyment from your little D.scabra's.
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:59 pm

John if you wanted to breed finches and Button quail to supply fresh eggs to the herping community you will not have any problems selling them. I would take regularly from you too.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Egg eaters (Dasypeltis sp.)