Good Day @ Addo Elephant Nat Park

Good Day @ Addo Elephant Nat Park

Postby Constrictor Girl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:45 pm

She but I am having a bit of a blonde year so far!! I thought I had posted this in December already but nope I DID NOT!! Shame on me!
My man and I took his aunt and uncle from England out to Addo to see the ellies and we were VERY fortunate to have seen quite alot of snakes which made a nice change!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Good Day @ Addo Elephant Nat Park

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:04 am

Wow, nice observation CG.

Stupid question, but is it a Cape Cobra? If it is, it's a decent sized one!

Did you photograph any of the other snakes that you saw? Don't be shy, haha.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Constrictor Girl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:03 am

Hi wesley

Yes this one is a cape cobra, I dint manage to photograph the other snake sightings very well as they were either too far away or the lighting was rubbish. We saw another cape cobra at a different water hole later in the afternoon, as well as a descent sizes puffy crossing one of the fields but she was just a little too far to get a descent shot. I live in PE and have been going to Addo about 3-4 times a year every year and have NEVER seen a snake there until this past December, and then as luck would have it get to see 3 in a day!!
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:03 am

Nice pics constrictor girl. Also live near PE and visit Addo often, must say, there isnt a lot of snakes. Seen the odd cobra, puffy and boomslang, but thats basicly it. Going out herping you would probably see more, or at night.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:13 am

Hi herpcrazy, I have been herping out that way a few times but the results have been dismal. Loads of boomers, the odd puffy and odd cape cobra, and not much of anything else. I have friends in Cape Town that come to addo once a year maybe once every two years and they always seem to see snakes!! It grates my carrot!!! :smt011
There are a few other hot spots in and around PE, I'm just disapointed with not seeing so many at the park.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading

Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Nice obsercation. reminds me of the heron and the big harlequin I posted here a while ago; that was also Addo.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby herpcrazy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:18 am

What I have found in the Addo Area before, but not in the park is a Albanny Adder. It was close to a lime stone mine, which is the heart of their habitat. That was quite special. Rarest snake I ever found. Got a photo somewhere.
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:22 am

I actually found one in the veld, took photo and left it. A short time afterwards someone brought a big one to me, caught it on the road,not knowing better to just leave it be. Anyway, kept it for about 2 weeks till I got a chance to take it back, since addo is about 50 km away. It ate a mouse in my care, also have the photo.
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Constrictor Girl wrote:Hi herpcrazy, I have been herping out that way a few times but the results have been dismal. Loads of boomers, the odd puffy and odd cape cobra, and not much of anything else. I have friends in Cape Town that come to addo once a year maybe once every two years and they always seem to see snakes!! It grates my carrot!!! :smt011
There are a few other hot spots in and around PE, I'm just disapointed with not seeing so many at the park.

It can't be to dismal if their are "loads of boomers"!! Boomslangs are some of the coolest snakes in the world imo...and pretty unique
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:16 pm

yoson10 what I mean is you do get sick of seeing Boomslang,they are not in my top 10 and I would freak over 20 puffies in a day before I get all excited over a boomslang. They just dont do it for me. I worked out in Addo for a year and saw boomers on a near daily basis, but battled with the puff adders and cobras, let alone the non venomous.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading

Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Eastern Cape