Vine snakes fighting and hunting

South African snakes with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Re: Vine snakes fighting and hunting

Postby bitis keeper » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:28 pm

amazing pics!!!!
bitis keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wynand » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Herphabitat wrote:Great observation and photos Wynand. Makes me miss Hoedspruit, what lodge are you from?

We built "Otters Den". Its a 50ha island in the Lowveld section of the Blyde River. We closed it down after the floods in January. Will probably open in May after we've rebuilt the bridge and roads.

No sweat, though. Our main income is from hot air ballooning.

Bushviper wrote:What I would give to be able to sit at home and watch snakes sunning themselves and feeding. That would be my dream house.

Hehe, yes, we are privileged, and we know it, but some encounters are a bit uncomfortable. Try explaining to guests from Europe and Scandinavia that having snakes around is a rare privilege. They don't get it and I don't blame them.
Mind you, I think its easier to get through to them than with some SA folks. I had a gentleman pack his bags because there was a foam nest frog in his bathroom. "It wouldn't budge" he said.

Geez, what's a Lowveld bathroom without a foam nest frog?

And then there was the British lady. As she got out her bath, a mamba lost its grip in the thatch roof and fell into the bath. I gues the warm water upset it, but that was nothing compared to the screams I responded to. Being British, she had the presence to cover herself with a towel before I stormed in.
Drat.
Wynand
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Hahahaha, seems like its a lot of fun over there.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 am

Well then we know each other Wynand, as you have kindly allowed us to release a fair amount of Vine snakes, Mambas and Pythons on your property. My name is Warren Klein and I was Curator of Swadini/Khamai Reptile Park about seven years ago. Glad to see you on this forum and that you still have a keen interest in snakes. Sorry to hear about the flood damage, I was afraid to ask.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wynand » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 am

Warren, was it that long ago?

I remember a warm day when you demonstrated mamba release to the students. They released some pythons and whatnot, but you intervened when it came to the hot and bothered mambas. Students stood back (so did I) and you explained about keeping still once the snake is out the pillow slip, so it won't be interested in you.

Subsequently, each of the two or three mambas you released in turn reared up and struck at you, requiring you to take evasive action. The demonstration about the wisdom of standing still didn't work that time, but I sure as hell understood why it wasn't a good day for newbies to handle mambas.
Wynand
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:01 pm

I know I was also surprised when I counted back the years. I do have some fond memories from those days especially of the Mambas. I remember that you were one of the only property owners in the whole of Hoedspruit who would allow us to release Mambas on your property. I am actually currently engaged to one of the American students who came with on one of our Mamba releases and we still often talk about crossing the rope bridge over the hippos and how beautiful Otters Den was. Not trying to take over your threat but I found some old pics from 2005 of one of the many snake releases at Otters Den. just for the memories ;)

An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Great stuff
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Fri May 11, 2012 2:32 pm

One of the most interesting posts ive read in a while!! Awesome pictures!! Has anyone managed to captive breed vine snakes? I'm pretty sure someone has but just making sure. Thanks for the great read wynand!!
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri May 11, 2012 9:23 pm

I know there is 2 posts with WC snakes laying eggs.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:47 am

Very nice observation, I just love this. Probably rivalry over prey?

I also know Otters Den, maybe I met you Wynand. I was the cameraman who filmed a session at your place with Mark O'Shea and Don Strydom a few years back. I remember filming Don and Mrk running full pelt across the bridge, can't remember why?

Also found a very large moz spitter by the river, didn't film it though.

Good stuff.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous highly venomous snakes