Some more mamba pics

Some more mamba pics

Postby Daniellouw » Fri May 11, 2012 10:46 am

These are a few more pics of the mamba from 09.05.2012. Not keen on getting into the bucket!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some more mamba pics

Postby Jamster » Fri May 11, 2012 11:02 am

NIce, I never work with a venemous snake in a call out and have people gathering around or getting close, i always get them to move away. Not only for their safety but for mine. I dont want to be distracted by others when working with a venemous snake.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 am

You are quite right! The snake did not want to get into the bucket and was agitated. I was telling the people around that these snakes are highly strung. I took it out of the bucket whilst still maintaining a good grip and then asked the people to move back a bit because I was going to let the snake go in the bucket. As I looked up, they were way back! Amaizing how a venomous snake works on peoples hearing ability too!!!
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Fri May 11, 2012 11:36 am

Good catch Daniel.I must add-That is a big risk putting that springsteel in a bucket.Letting them sail through a piece of PVC pipe into a bag,I found is a lot safer.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 pm

I know the PVC method also works and I have use it before. I do not like a pillowcase because I know of a few bites accuring through the bag but it can also work if need be. I personally feel that I have a bit more control over the situation when I have the snake behind the head. However, we know that this is probably the most difficult snake in the world to rescue and release safely and extreme caution is needed and therefor I propose that the most important thing is that you feel comfortable with the method you are using.
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Fri May 11, 2012 2:58 pm

If you do use a dustbin or bucket, make sure there are leaves or newspaper or grass at the bottom; when the snake feels this security, it almost always take cover underneath.
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Sun May 13, 2012 11:46 pm

I half crumple up newspaper and toss that in, works great for boomslang, cobras and mambas:)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Mpumalanga