Olive whip snake venom effect on cats & dogs?

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Olive whip snake venom effect on cats & dogs?

Postby stingray1 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Can anyone advise on whether a bite from an Olive whip snake is lethal to small dogs and cats?
Also, how dangerous is the venom to small children and babies? My understanding is that the venom is not dangerous to adult humans, but what about toddlers?
If the venom is toxic to small rodents, am I right to assume that a small dog and/or puppies and kittens are at risk?
In the event that a dog or cat is bitten, what symptoms will the animal present and what treatment should I expect from the vet?
stingray1
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Olive whip snake venom effect on cats & dogs?

Postby Blet » Sun May 13, 2012 5:10 pm

I suspect you'll see little or no effect from a bite in anyone/anything larger than a rat. These guys are so alert and flighty that I suspect only snake handlers ever get in contact, let alone bitten. Any potentially venomous snake is best avoided and large back-fanged species even more so due to the low-volume-to-efficacy nature of the venom produced and also because so little is known about the venom composition.

Speaking as a vet, symptomatic treatment only, ie manage pain, swelling, inflammation, necrosis and infection at the bite site, should any arise. This goes for all snakebites or suspected bites where extremely well define neurological, haemorrhagic or cytotoxic symptoms are absent. Here in the Western Cape only Cape Cobra and Puffie bites are of concern...Boomslang avoid altercations wit pets and humans. Both require aggressive treatment...polyvalent antivenom and ventilation in just about all cobra bites and antivenom some puffie bites. Puffies require huge volumes of i/v fluid therapy and on occasion blood or plasma transfusions.

I understand your concern, but suspect the risks are extremely low. Rather enjoy these stunning snakes from they distance they'll allow!
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 am

I have caught quite a few of these here in the Lowveld and have been bitten numerous times without any effects, my son Ricardo (10) weighs about 35kg and he has been bitten too without as much as a headache. As you know, snakes can control the amount of venom per bite so, as they say on the TV adds: "individual results may differ".
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon May 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Olive grass snakes get big for a whip snake at about 1.2 meters or even bigger. They are quick to dart away and not one to hang around when disturbed. Therefore i dont think you have to worry about little chidren too much. dogs and cats could have a go at one if the got the chance though. If you get a headache from the bite then its probably all in your head. I think the worst part would be the actual bite as they chew repetatively into you with large back fangs. The venom isnt very potent and some localised swelling may be experienced and maybe a bit of pain but not too serious. Why do you ask? personally i would be far more interested in the deadlier more common snakes around like puff adders :D
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptile Ventures » Fri May 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Do bear in mind also that back-fanged snakes have Duveroy's gland and have very little control over the amount of venom injected as this is determined largely by the amount of pressure applied to the venom gland and the viscosity of hte venom. And the whole thing about headaches from mildly venomous snake bites is a myth as their venoms seldom if ever contain any toxins that cause headaches. Such headaches are probably fear-induced.
Reptile Ventures
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club