New Rockie

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Re: New Rockie

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 pm

When monitors eat they could end up eating the sand at the same time. This sand then impact in the bowels and causes their death. They dont live on sand. At most they live on rocky outcrops and soil or grass. If you dont like the idea of newspaper then at least just give him a mixture of potting soil and compost.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby J.C » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks for the information Bushviper.
Never mistake my silence for ignorance, calmness for acceptance or kindness for weakness.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Postby goblin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks alot for the advice. I went to a pet shop and they said i should get Phillipi sand and sterilize it and thats what i done.
Seems you guys speak of experience i will change it asap, but from what i read on care sheets they need a deep substrate to dig :-? .
Can anyone enlighten me please as i would want the best for him/her.
goblin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Goblin, what I sometimes do with mine is put some potting soil in a cat litter box, and moisten it a little bit. They sometimes dig in it. The only reason they really dig is for food and shelter. Mine knows his feeding times and never digs, even if the soil is there. He is also very tame, doesn't hide, but I keep a hiding box in for him although he never uses it. If you keep him on soil or sand, get a separate feeding area free from sand, they quickly learn to eat from your hand. some rocks and logs are enough to keep them entertained, especially now in winter, mine doesn't go far from his basking spot.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby goblin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Got home and he took two chunks of chicken necks from me. He lays on the basking spot i made for him and doesnt hide altho he very nervous when i put my hand in the tank. Whats the best ways to get him use to me? I touch him for the first time today. Do i keep rubbing him or should i just pick him up?
Thanks for the help.
goblin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby goblin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:26 pm

So i've removed the sand and added newspaper and some rocks. here are some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goblin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:40 pm

That's much better man. I handfed mine every meal and just stroked him lightly. Later I would put food on my hand and he would walk onto my hand. I took it a step further every week on his terms. They tame quite quick. His name is agro, since he wanted to take my fingers of as a baby, but now he is so gentle and cute, can handle him as I like. Even got a small dog harness to take him into the garden for some natural sunlight. He loves it.
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby goblin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks for the advice. I have started picking him up but just want to jump. I think ill try your method and let him be the boss for now. What do you give him as his staple food? Is to much pinkies bad for him?
goblin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Goblin, sorry for the late reply. Concerning their diet, they are carnivores more than insectivores. Mine eats chicken necks and hearts mostly, also give him a young rat every now and then, about once every 2 weeks. He also likes raw egg, I just break it open into a bowl and he eats/licks it up. I offer him some hissing roaches now and then, but he is not to fond of them. I try to vary his dieet as much as possible.
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:51 pm

O yea, and I cut the fat of the necks. Too much fat can cause problems. Pinkies are very fatty, with snakes its alright, since they don't eat as often.
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:59 pm

What's the size of your cage? I've been looking into getting Bosch monitors but caging, lighting, and heating might be an issue.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous lizards