red tail boa/columbia rainbow boa

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

red tail boa/columbia rainbow boa

Postby Saroline » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi, i want to know if i can put a red tail boa (4months) with a Columbia rainbow boa (adult) in one cage?
Saroline
SA Reptiles Member

Re: red tail boa/columbia rainbow boa

Postby kfc223 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:35 pm

2 snakes + one cage= bad bad bad idea.

Each snake has its own cage or you must not keep them. That's my philosophy.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:55 am

I agree with kfc223, so many risks in keeping snakes together:

Stress
Cannibalism
Diseases

And if they strike each other you can have a snake with infected wounds one day.

Rather keep separate.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:29 pm

I dont agree with both the statements...
Ive kept snakes together without any problen... Feeding does become a hastle though. But if done correctly out of the enclosure they should do well together.
Nothing wrong with housing boids together...
Stress? Why Stress Mr Venom
Cannibalism? Yes because boas are prone to chow their own?
Diseases? If the snakes are disease free when put together how can this be a problem then?

There is not much wrong with housing them together.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Snakes are solitary by nature. Why force them to live together?
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 am

Like kfc223 stated, snakes are solitary animals, they get stressed out by another animal being near them.

Cannibalism is well known in Boas, and diseases can be problem if it ever happens, also say if one regurgitated its food then how would you know which one it is?

I think a snake species should only be together in the same enclosure during breeding.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 am

Do you want to start with the whole forcing of animals debate? You will lose it Mr Venom and KFC.
You are forcing them to stay in cages arent you?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:45 pm

No need to be hostile.

I'm not looking for a fight.

We express our opinions on this forum and I did.

My opinion is each snake has its own cage.

PS: All my snakes are captive bred and belong in captivity, I don't see why my many albino bhs need to be in the wild. I doubt they would survive.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Boas are know to eat other snakes.

Keeping them together is a bad idea. You cannot tell who left a regurge or who defecated a greenish slime or similar incidents.

If you cannot afford to give each snake its own cage then sell one of them and buy another cage.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:32 pm

The biggest problem I see here is the difference in care that a redtail boa and a columbia rainbow boa have.

Certain snakes can be housed together with no problems. I have seen it being done, however the risks are there. For the one local pet store they keep their 2 breeding boas together - no problem I have seen, but getting the female out the cage is near impossible with her temper. They keep 2 texas rat snakes together and the one feeding time the first rat snake fought with the other one for food - luckily no damage. Then in the strangest circumstnace they keep a carpet python and an egg eater in the same cage - not sure whats going on there. What is really strange is they keep some of their breeding kings together.

I personally dont believe in it, although used to house 2 corns together. When I had another enclosure I seperated them. There are only a few species of selected snakes that do well when kept together and its mainly still for breeding.

For me the biggest problem here other than what others have said is the fact that both snakes recquire different setups.
I don't know how different a columbian rainbow is to a brazillian, but both require much higher humidity don't they?
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:39 pm

http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/columbia ... esheet.htm
Above is the care sheet for a columbia rainbow boa

http://redtailboafaq.com/printablecaresheet.php
above is the redtail boa caresheet - which includes really good amswers to a broad range of FAQs concerning many snake species, including why you should not house more than one snake together
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 pm

I really need to learn how the edit button works, so sorry for the multiple replies.

a 4 month old boa and an adult boa is another reason for it not being a good idea, will stress out the young boa.

If cash is a problem and you dont have another cage for the snake you can get some pretty big tubs that are big enough to house a boa in for about a year. They go for 140 to 200 rand. They hold humidity well as well as heat, its a very cheap short term solution is housing is a problem.

one of these things
(Not mine - pulled off google image search)
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby muddyboy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 am

Unforgiven has nailed this on the head.
The first thing to consider is the species and what conditions they need to survive. The 2 snakes in question need different care.

I have housed Boas together but mainly for breeding purposes or for a temp period while building new cages.
But I have to agree that (IF AT ALL POSS) try to house your snakes in their own cages. Not only is this less stress on your snake but less stress on you, especially at feeding time. Sometimes its not always easy to feed outside the enclosure if the snake in question is evil.

You also got to consider that if one snake picks up the sniffs, the other room mate is going to get it, so instead of one snake to quarintine and get healthy, you have 2!
Same goes for treating mites, etc

Everyone has their own methods and ways that work for them, no one can tell you how, why or when.... Advice is free and its up to you if you take it or not.
Circumstances that might work for one keeper might not be good for another.

I have had a female Boa eat one of my males, Ive lost snakes to sickness that could have been avoided if they were kept in seperate cages, And due to my own lazyness and not cleaning my hands while working with new snakes i have transfered desease and lost most of the snakes i worked with that day.

So again, its totally up to you. I like the Tub method, Its clean, Easy and cheap.

but i am totally against keeping snakes that require different circumstances together, but thats only my own personal 2cents
Want a weekend on a Game Farm in Limpopo?
PM me for details and prices.
muddyboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scrappymystic1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:46 pm

[i]I personally have cap 2 red tail Boas together at first everything was fine I have never fed either one in their cage. where I messed up was my female was very very affectionate and would come to you immediately upon opening the cage the male however, very possessive over my female Akasha and everytime I open the cage she would try to come to me and as I reached my hand in he would attack me. If I let her come to me all was good but I could not stick my hand in to reach for her. I later gave them to a gentleman who wanted to breed them. I did not want to separate them because she seemedto get attached to him as well they live together for 3 years they balled up together they climb together I don't think there's anything wrong with housing two together as long as they are healthy and you are prepared for one to get possessive over the other almost jealous never had any problems duting feeding time they never were agressive towards each other. 2 females together or two males together don't seem to have that problem but if you really are into your snakes and not just a breeder you will notice they are very affectionate animals and do like the affection of others. Some may not believe this but I had Akasha come by calling her name she felt the vibration that I always said when I holding her so when I open the cage and called her name lightly amd calmly and she always came people underestimate snakes they're just reptilesno they don't play fetch but they are very affectionate they do give kisses and they know who take care of them so don't knock it just be careful if you're putting opposite sex because as humans they get jealous too I'm not a vet i'm not a dr I'm just somebody whos been playing with and had two or three snakes most of my life I'm 38 and learnes most of what i know living in GTMO cuba watching an s playinh with wild cuban boas as a child. You'd be surprised not knocking anybody breeders don't have time to pay attention to their snakes the way they should I mean a the dumb and things like that but how often do you put your snake atounf yout necks for 5hrs or so just chilling and playing. Noone Wants to be alone, we just assume because they're cold blood animals.
scrappymystic1
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas