Differentiating Between Eastern Green Mamba Localities

Differentiating Between Eastern Green Mamba Localities

Postby dpedwards08 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:00 pm

I have a question for all you Eastern Green Mamba experts out there. Is there a way to tell which locality an Eastern Green Mamba is just by looking at it? I have a female Eastern Green Mamba that is perfectly green and I have a male Eastern Green Mamba that has some black coloration between it's scales and doesn't have as nice of a green coloration to it as the female. Why is that? Are there certain localities that are prettier than the others? I have read that the only Eastern Green Mambas that are in the United States come from a certain country, but I don't believe that is accurate.

As for Western Green Mambas, I have seen more of a variety of colors and shades than in Eastern Green Mambas. Is that because of a difference of locality or is it due to something else? Any additional information and comments are appreciated. If you are from Africa and have first hand experience of wild mambas, I would love to hear from you.
dpedwards08
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Differentiating Between Eastern Green Mamba Localities

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 am

I dont know of any colour differences in the Eastern Green mamba. I have noticed that some from certain areas will have black inside of their mouths while others have pinkish mouth linings and others have very white mouth linings.

Tanzania is (or was) the biggest exporter of green mambas followed by Mozambique and Uganda. South Africa also exports some green mambas so it is possible to find various localities in the US.

We have very little experience with Western green mambas so possibly someone who works in that region could help us out.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 am

I have also seen wild caught KZN Green Mambas that where emerald green when first captured turn dull after some time in captivity. Possibly the lack of exposure to natural sunlight plays a part in this.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dpedwards08 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Here is an illustration of the black coloration inbetween the scales of a D. angusticeps. http://thereptilereport.com/beautiful-green-mamba/ Does anybody know why some specimens have it and some don't? For those of you who live in South Africa, do the D. angusticeps in your area have this black coloration inbetween the scales? I have seen some D. angusticeps that have a beautiful lime green, almost yellow, coloration while some have a much darker green coloration. I'm just wondering which localities have which coloring.
dpedwards08
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Mambas (Dendroaspis sp.)