Please help identify this centipede

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Please help identify this centipede

Postby Ridolf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:03 pm

I have purchased the centipede in the pics and I need to identify it.

-Pics Fixed- Wes
Ridolf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Please help identify this centipede

Postby Ridolf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:04 pm

This centipede currently measures at +- 7 to 8 cm
Ridolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jesica » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:30 am

Maybe a baby Giant Redheaded Centipede.

Were did you get it?
jesica
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Ridolf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:34 pm

I have found ou it is a Cormocephalus nitidus. it is a very nice looking centipede but they are small. I need to find myself a species in the scolopendra genus, The big boys
Ridolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HeLL_DoGG » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey! I caught one of these little buggers in my girlfriend's dad's back-yard earlier today! It's about ±5cm's long, has 22 segments each with a pair of limbs/appendages! Its overall body color is a dusky grey/black, the last/tail segment has an orange tinge to it and the first two segments (the head & second segment) are a brilliant bright red! The legs & tail appendages are all blood red, the modified pair of legs on the second segment are also a brilliant bright red and the feelers/antennae are a grey/black with slightly iridescent blue tips! As far as I've been able to tell, not much seems to be known about these pedes.. Whether or not it's related in any way to the Skolopendra Genus, is largely debatable at this point in time, as far as I'm concerned!! You say you found out it's a Red Leg Centipede (Cormocephalus Nitidus)?? Where did you get that info from if you don't mind me asking?? I'd like to check it out some more to be 100% sure!!
HeLL_DoGG
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Invertebrates