Big, Bad, Predatory African Beetles

Big, Bad, Predatory African Beetles

Postby chalcosoma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello everyone

Can anyone tell me if it is legal for South Africa to export the Monster Tiger beetle (Manticor sp.) or any of the Anthia sp.? I am planning to open a vivarium shop in Canada and am looking for a legitimate exporter. Both are found in South Africa:

MANTICORA sp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manticora.scabra.jpg

ANTHIA sp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anthia_sexguttata.jpg

Thanks!

Michael
chalcosoma
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Big, Bad, Predatory African Beetles

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 am

Hi Michael

If these are not specifically listed then I dont think there will be any problems to export them.

In certain provinces they will be protected (the Cape ones) but the other provinces have not listed them so trade would be legal.

Now to find someone to catch them for you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Buggs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am

Hey guys

New on the forum, just found this post.
I have a private collection of insects, predominantly beetles and butterflies, and just had a really successful weekend collecting on a farm, after recieving the owner's permission. I managed to find a few Manticora's, was wondering where you're based, and if you now yet if it's legal to export them??

Buggs
Email me: buggsbalmer@gmail.com
BBM me: 21A48E8B

"For just one moment in the night
I am complete, my soul takes flight.
For just one moment, then it's gone,
And I am once again undone.
Never complete. Never whole.
White skin, and an African soul."
- Michelle Frost
Buggs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:47 am

After going through a Tops list, it appears Manticora spp are Protected so are thus illegal to keep and Export without relevant permits. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this. Anthia spp doesn't appear on the list so I presume they are fine.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:05 pm

NIce job vuurvliegie.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit dof today, but you aren't being Sarcastic are you?

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 pm

No I'm not. I guess you were busy looking at these requests quite a lot lately. Not many okes are helping with the bugs. I wanted jumping spiders.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:27 pm

So true. I've been trying to source Parktown Prawns and Cape Mountain Cockroaches for months, but I may at least get the Roaches soonish :) Not many "Bug" people on the forum so it's difficult to get answers on laws and things :|

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm

You know the Parktowns are kinda a pest in some places. I offered an reward for my jumpers but sadly everyone is all talk and no action.
The people you deal with are either petshopboys or people who think they are saving the rhino if they refuse to catch a few.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 pm

LOL. Had a few people promise to catch me some parkies, and I thought they would as Parkies are considered a pest so who wouldn't want to get rid of them, but nothing much comes of it? I think they would make a great food source for larger reptiles.

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 am

Nah parktown do this to reptiles :smt017
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buggs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Hey guys

F1refly I have plenty of parktown prawns in my garden, and getting hold of them is no problem at all. I often feed them to my Parabuthus scorpions, and they seem to savour them, so I'm sure they'd make a good food source if you could breed them captively. The only problem is that they are quite strong, so when I feed them to my scorpions I break off the jumping legs and the large mandibles.

I'm having the same problem as you guys, with very few bug people on the forum.

Where are you situated?? I'm sure we can crac some kinda deal with Parkies...

Buggs
Email me: buggsbalmer@gmail.com
BBM me: 21A48E8B

"For just one moment in the night
I am complete, my soul takes flight.
For just one moment, then it's gone,
And I am once again undone.
Never complete. Never whole.
White skin, and an African soul."
- Michelle Frost
Buggs
SA Reptiles Member