What reptiles are blacklisted/banned in the EC?

What reptiles are blacklisted/banned in the EC?

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:47 pm

I did a quick google search and as usual, searching from a blackberry proved to be fruitless.

Can somebody supply me with a list or a site that contains all reptiles banned/ restricted in the EC?

Until recently I thought only lizards and geckos excluding leos were banned, but it seems there are some snakes as well. This is in contrast to what I was told by quite a knowledgable herper who said all snakes were fair game from afrocs to fisks house snake etc etc.

While I'm at it. Can somebody explain why a hognose is banned??
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What reptiles are blacklisted/banned in the EC?

Postby kfc223 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Well Western Hognose snakes were banned with all the other things(eg. Bearded dragons) in the Western Cape because CapeNature says they are possibly invasive. I'm not quite sure about the Eastern Cape.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:27 pm

In all honesty I think a cali king or corn snake would be deemed more invasive - but I am glad they have not been banned
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Any snakes or other reptiles on the "list" are banned. Please keep in mind this list very hard to find and varies from office to office in different parts of the province. I'm sure that helps a lot!!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Hoss » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 am

IMO this "list" here in the Eastern Cape is much like a unicorn, or a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We all hear about it but never see it.
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:55 am

Okay well just to give you a quick idea of what I know.

Lizards: you may keep-leopard geckos, blue tonged skinks, rock monitors, water monitors, bibrons and turners geckos aswell as giant ground geckos and african fat tailed geckos.

Snakes: You may keep almost all the indigenous harmless snakes excluding the rare house snakes such as fisks and yellow bellies, almost impossible to get permits for exclusively gecko/lizard feeders such as wolf snakes, natal greens, etc.

Most of the american and asian ratsnakes may be kept. Aswell as the american kingsnakes.

Most pitvipers aren't allowed, except for purple mangrove vipers, eastern and western diamond backs, copperheads and white lipped tree vipers.

Almost all indigenous venemous snakes may be kept, including black and green mambas, all indigenous adders(excluding some rare dwarf adders),all indigenous non spitting cobras, rinkhals and mozambique spitters. No other spitters are allowed.

No exotic cobras allowed and very few exotic adders allowed.

Most boas and pythons are allowed. icluding rainbow boas(columbian and brazilian), boa constrictors, yellow anacondas, retics, burms, balls, carpets etc etc.

I have porobably left loads of stuff out but this is just a rough idea of what we can and cant keep this side of the eastern cape. By no means is this a complete list :smt018
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 am

Thanks for the replies.

I contacted the Natcon office directly and got a list from them. The list however only shows the species allowed and is very confusing to follow. It also varies per district with the amathola district being the most well off. The way it was explained to me is that everything not on the list is banned. The list itself is full of errors in terms of names. There are also several snakes that are not on the list but are quite common in the EC and the people who own them all have the relevant permits

It really is a frsutrating list and shows that whoever is in power don't know 100 percent what they are doing (my personal opinion)

I'm more than willing to forward the list to anyone who wants to see it - you can pm me with your email address.

Jamster pretty much has the list summarised apart from a few things. I'm pretty bummed about it/ annoyed with it.
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am

Dont be so hasty in complaining.Thanx to some of those typos many snakes have been allowed in that shouldnt have been. For example king cobras were allowed in accidentally as they stated on the list that " asian cobras" are permitted. So kings were brought in as asian cobras, which essentially, they are.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Eastern Cape