Some lizards

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Some lizards

Postby croteseeker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 pm

I got a new camera for my birthday, and I've been playing around with it, trying to figure out all the different settings. But, sadly, it's coming up on winter, here in Arizona, and Mr. No-shoulders is becoming increasingly difficult to find. In fact, it's gotten so bad that I've come down to photographing lizards. :lol: (I know...I know.)

I managed to get some halfway decent shots of a couple different species, though, and I thought I'd share them here. These first guys were found up in a Mesquite tree, while my brother and I were wandering around one of our old flipping spots. We had a great time chasing these guys all over the trunk of this tree.

Ornate Tree lizards (Urosaurus ornatus) can be very difficult to find, although they're not at all rare. Their cryptic coloration is the reason Ben and I made such good sport out of finding and catching these guys. Despite their camouflage they, like many of our smaller lizard species, have some beautiful belly markings.

Now I've shown you guys this other species before, but they're one of our better-looking lizards, so I'll throw in a couple pics.

This is the Desert Spiny lizard (Sceloporus magister). These shots are in situ, which is just about the only way to get photos of them. They usually live in amongst the rocks and they spook as soon as they see you. Something which they usually accomplish from a great distance.

And, just for kicks, I'll finish off with a few habitat shots.

Happy herping, everybody. Thanks for looking.:smt006
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some lizards

Postby kfc223 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Quite Impressive!

Some of those lizards look quite similar to our native South African species. And the habitat looks quite similar to our Karoo. Well except for those cactus.

Very good shots too!
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some lizards

Postby croteseeker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks, man. I've noticed some similarities between landscape and fauna, as well. Funny how little some things have changes since our continents split apart. The first time I saw Cerastes cerastes, I thought I was looking at a goofy-looking sidewinder. :lol:
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records