Busted at the border

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Busted at the border

Postby nvlooi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Some news:(This is only via the grapevine and Johan Marias also posted on his FB wall)

S o, a Person at the Vioolsdrift border between South Africa and Namibia was arrested for trying to take snakes over the border without the necessarily paper(obviously)
I have heard who the person is but will rather not post his name...
D oes anybody know anything more?

Also two chaps where almost caught in Springbok while they where up there collecting animals for (who knows what reason)...

In due time all these smugglers and mass collectors will see their gatte!

Well one to the border officers and all parties involved!

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Busted at the border

Postby Westley Price » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Some of these guys just don’t learn, but it’s good to hear that NatCon are focusing more on smugglers than on Corn snake permits.

I wonder what his punishment will be. I hope someone else can shed some more light on these cases.

Does anyone know what species were involved?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby nvlooi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Seems like natcon is doing a fantastic thing here!!

Interestingly enough it was only a few animals and not masses!

Does anybody know what is going to happen with theses animals?

Maybe if these people get jail time they will stop this cr@p!

Anybody that passes the border should actually be search with dogs or something,

Trading these animals usually ends up being a dead animal anyways and very few of them every breeds in captivity, especially the dwarf adder!

Hopefully the fine/jail time will be enough!

Everybody that trades with these animals should get locked up!

When will this stop?

Sometimes I wonder how many animals go through the border in a year...???
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Seems to me they hit a soft spot there, nvlooi?

I must admit, I feel the same way as I grew up in that part of the world, seeing those species out in the wild.

Dwindling natural resources in Namibia and Namaqualand are forcing Natcon to intervene and I’m impressed.

More and more smugglers are being bust. I’m not sure if this is due to tip-offs or whether Natcon are simply upping their game.

Anyway, I am impressed. Will certainly make me think twice if I were thinking of going that route.

The word inevitably spread, leading guys like this to think twice whether to take the risk or not.

Two busts (well almost) in one weekend? That must be some sort of record.

How come there has been nothing on this in the news? They are usually quick to jump on these stories.

Every Dog gets his day!

We are quick to judge though; this might not be a “big time” smuggler.

Shame, if this were a guy simply collecting for his own collection I would feel slightly sympathetic.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 pm

It sounds like he was going towards Namibia. That does not make sense. Why not just post facts if they exist. Why the secrecy???

"Almost" catching two people? Were they catching reptiles illegally and got away or were they just suspected of catching illegally?

Name and Shame !!!!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby nvlooi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm

BV - Im only posting what I know! I wish I had more info that is why I posted the question "Does anybody know anything more?"

I do not know the names of the people that where suspected of collecting in Springbok...
Apparently they where tipped of that there is going to be road block and they left earlier or something like that... that is literally all I know about the "almost bust"
Read what JM wrote on his wall...

If the information I have regarding the person at the border is wrong and I make such an statement it could go south!! I believe you understand, very soon once confirmed the name will be known across the field!!

H

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Okay thanks Henco. I have read between the lines and heard the name and if its confirmed we can post it here. Apparently there is another guy (also in the Cape) that is doing similar stuff. Lets hope they nail him too.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby nvlooi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Bushviper wrote:Okay thanks Henco. I have read between the lines and heard the name and if its confirmed we can post it here. Apparently there is another guy (also in the Cape) that is doing similar stuff. Lets hope they nail him too.

There was recently a car stopped and searched for reptiles in the matjiesfontein area. Thanks to flyers about reptile collecting and direct communication with farmers and police someone noted that a car was driving suspeciously on the roads from just before dark. The car was searched but no reptiles where found. Seconds before the police got to them things wher thrown into the veld... The police have all the suspected collectors vehicle registration numbers and some info on the individuals themselve. Hopefully the 2 guys that evening got a big enough fright and will realise that they are being watched and will stop collecting masses of rare and secretive snakes. I hope the people that knows this group of collectors will help in stopping this bullshit!

You will get cuaght if you do not stop!!!

Henco

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Well done, these teachers finally get caught.

I was in Namibia last month for a week, the border post wasn't very strict. They did not search us on entering Namibia or leaving. I can't say they were very strict, and imagined how easy it would have been for a poacher(scum) to bring back some herps.

I agree with Arno, these guys should be named and shamed.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:03 pm

I'd love to go road cruising in the Springbok area the way I've done in other parts of the country. Why you might ask, for the thrill of finding a species I've never found before, photographing it and then releasing it. It seems that if I do this I'd be labelled a criminal and end up being the topic of a conversation like this. Thanks to smugglers, a real pity.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Froot I would suggest going to the local police and / or conservation office and telling them that you will be in the area, what you intend doing and giving them copies of your drivers license and the vehicle registration. That way if they stop you they can confirm you were not poaching but merely photographing. I know it sucks that you cannot keep them till the next day to photograph in natural light but its better than nothing.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BOOGY » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:49 am

Its always a few guys that stuff up every thing for the masses.
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Natcon NC » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Bushviper wrote:It sounds like he was going towards Namibia. That does not make sense. Why not just post facts if they exist. Why the secrecy???

"Almost" catching two people? Were they catching reptiles illegally and got away or were they just suspected of catching illegally?

Name and Shame !!!!

Ok here goes the two people were suspected of illegally collecting in the Springbok and Port Nolloth area, and the names we had was one Pieterse and Dicht from KZN . Do any of you know anything please pm me.

Just to correct your information the guy caught at Vioolsdrift was returning from Namibia. The case is still being investigated
Natcon NC
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:28 am

Ok here goes the two people were suspected of illegally collecting in the Springbok and Port Nolloth area, and the names we had was one Pieterse and Dicht from KZN . Do any of you know anything please pm me.

Just to correct your information the guy caught at Vioolsdrift was returning from Namibia. The case is still being investigated

Well done. I hope you intend keeping his car and equipment as well like the previous time.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:58 am

Wow surprising NC Natcon got something right :shock: .
Sorry but I think they're probably the province who have the least knowledge when it comes to reptiles and their care :smt011 .
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements