Feeder/pet roaches in SA

Feeder/pet roaches in SA

Postby Joh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Hello Everybody,

How are you?

I am just starting to get into the hobby of keeping roaches. I have found one or two websites for people selling roaches in SA. But, not everyone who breeds roaches sell them. So, which species are available in South Africa.

Thank You,
Joh
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Feeder/pet roaches in SA

Postby F1refly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 pm

The following are available most of the time:

Blaptica dubia
Blatta lateralis
Gromphadorhina portentosa
Phoetalia pallida
Lobster Roaches
Cape Red Head Roaches (Local species)
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby coleosse » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi,

Cape Red Head Roaches (Local species) is Aptera fusca?
http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/ins ... 00931x.jpg

Chris
coleosse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Chris,

No, sadly not. I would love to have Aptera fusca. Cape red head Roaches are Oxyhaloa duesta.

Hi Firefly,

Thank you for the information. I might be in the market for swapping soon(in KZN) as my Oxyhaloa are breeding like crazy. Which is why I wanted to know what other species might be available. I currently have a small colony of Oxyhaloa duesta, and a small colony of native Pycnoscelus cockroaches. They are closely related to the Suriname cockroach, Pycnoscelus surinamensis.

Sincerely,
JV
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby coleosse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Joh,

Oxyhaloa duesta is very nice. damage that they do not find it at the stockbreeder's of Roaches. I asked question my knowledge!

Chris
coleosse
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other invertebrates