Rattlesnake blog for AZ newbies

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Rattlesnake blog for AZ newbies

Postby croteseeker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Sorry, there aren't any photos in this one. :lol:

I didn't know where else to post this, but since it pertains to field herping, I thought that this might be the place.

I recently started a blog to put new herpers on the right track toward finding rattlesnakes in Arizona. There is no specific locality information, nor any of the tips and tricks that only research and experience can offer. This is just a site aimed toward helping new guys know what habitat, food supply, elevation, etc. to look for when researching possible search areas, with some information on behavior and identification tossed in, just for good measure. Nothing but common knowledge on the common species, with even less on the sensitive species. It's not yet complete, but it's getting there. When it's done it should be a good resource for those who would like to get started on looking for AZ crotes. If anyone wants to take a look, the address is http://www.rattlesnakesofaz.blogspot.com.

P.S. If you're new to the hobby, I recommend you start with, "Intro to field herping." ;)
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rattlesnake blog for AZ newbies

Postby coral snake » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Nice blog. The sad thing is,you made me miss AZ all over again :smt010
Brown House snake 0.2
Corn snake normal 3.1
Corn snake Albino 0.1
Leopard Gecko 0.0.1
Western Hognose 1.0
White lipped Tree viper 1.1
Yellow anaconda 1.0
Bahai scarlet birdeater 0.1
Fire Red birdeater 0.1
Curly hair 0.1
Chilean rose 0.1

-Alex Parsons
coral snake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks, coral snake. I didn't count on getting a lot of replies on this forum, given the distance involved, but I still like this forum and some of the people on here, no matter how far away they are. I just wanted to share a new field herping resource for those of you that might be planning a trip. I'm glad you enjoyed, and I'm sorry if I made you miss AZ. :smt006
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby coral snake » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 pm

No probs mate:) glad you feel welcome here!
Brown House snake 0.2
Corn snake normal 3.1
Corn snake Albino 0.1
Leopard Gecko 0.0.1
Western Hognose 1.0
White lipped Tree viper 1.1
Yellow anaconda 1.0
Bahai scarlet birdeater 0.1
Fire Red birdeater 0.1
Curly hair 0.1
Chilean rose 0.1

-Alex Parsons