Corn with broken back

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Corn with broken back

Postby iiviii » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi all.

Thought I might share this with you.

Got a call last week about a "huge and very aggressive" snake that was in a guy's garage.

Turns out to be this little corn snake, (yes, a wild caught Corn snake lol) but unfortunately while they were phoning me they tried to pin it using a broom and managed to brake its back.

At first I highly doubted that he would survive at all, but now a week later I'm much more positive.

On day one he couldn't move the lower half of his body and didn't respond at all to me touching him. Gave him a few days break and then tried again and it seemed like he had regained a bit of feeling but not much movement at all. Then tonight when I went to check on him he reacted immediately to touch and moved his tail quite a bit faster and more of the tail seemed to be able to move than before.

I've read quite a bit about snakes with broken backs, but can anyone here tell me from experience if its a good idea to maybe try offering him a pinky or would that put to much strain on him?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Corn with broken back

Postby Lillypod » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:36 am

My biggest house snake had a broken back before I got her, I have no idea how it happened and what they did to fix it, but the scars show that an operation was performed. Good luck with this little one.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 am

Thank you!

In my opinion (in which I may be completely wrong) I don't think surgery would be the answer here as he seems to be doing better every couple of days and due to his size I don't think he would survive a surgery so I'm just going to hold thumbs that he's going to pull through and make a complete recovery.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chopper 1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 am

Interesting! I think ti woudl depend on where the damage was doen and if any o fthe internal organs where damaged. I have had snakes damaged and "come right" only to have them die after they eat. I gues give it a few more days for it to get better before trying it on a pinkie??

Good luck
To fly is Heavenly but to hover is Divine
Chopper 1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:31 pm

I would suggest you give him some dead food so that he does not have to constrict it. If it goes weak again then splint it with some ice cream sticks which you super glue in a triangle around the broken part. That should recover within a few weeks.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chopper 1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Bushviper wrote:I would suggest you give him some dead food so that he does not have to constrict it. If it goes weak again then splint it with some ice cream sticks which you super glue in a triangle around the broken part. That should recover within a few weeks.

That is a great idea!! How does one stop the sticks slidign down the snake (hope not with super glue)? Never thought of that - i will be honest and say that i put them down if i find them damaged by people :(
Chopper 1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes super glue. When the snake sheds it comes off. I have used this a few times in the past. Just dont stick your fingers to the snake.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chopper 1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 am

Bushviper wrote:Yes super glue. When the snake sheds it comes off. I have used this a few times in the past. Just dont stick your fingers to the snake.

Ok interesting, just thought the superglue would have damaged the skin between the scales by 'burning" it... will remember that next time!!
Chopper 1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 am

Super glue is even used in human surgeries. It is only under pressure that it gets hot and burns the skin. I have used it to stop massive hemorrhaging in a dog ear where the vein was nicked. You can barely see the wound to put in stitches and the loss of blood was massive. Just glued tissue paper and cotton wool to the wound and it stopped the bleeding immediately. I will never admit to using it on my kids but it is possible to close gaping wounds quickly especially late at night and over weekends.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snakesitter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Good tip, Bushviper!

iiviii, kudos to you for taking the poor critter in. In my experience, a short delay in feeding is far less of a risk than aggravating an injury...so I would hold off for some time. Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks for all the replies.

@ BV
I liked the idea of using super glue on the snake, but for some reason nothing would stick to him / her? Not sure why but its not the super glue as that managed to stick to my fingers and everything else ...

I am glad to say that he has had a meal, has pooped it out, and has shed succesfully :)

One problem I did find is that where the break is / was there is still a large bump and he sheds fine up until there, but then it tears and he can't get the rest off. I did how ever soak him for quite a while and then helped him shed the rest of the skin.

I also noticed that he has feeling and is able to move the area from the break backwards, but tends to only use the muscles from the break forward. Does anyone have any idea why he would do this?
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks for all the replies.

@ BV
I liked the idea of using super glue on the snake, but for some reason nothing would stick to him / her? Not sure why but its not the super glue as that managed to stick to my fingers and everything else ...

I am glad to say that he has had a meal, has pooped it out, and has shed successfully :)

One problem I did find is that where the break is / was there is still a large bump and he sheds fine up until there, but then it tears and he can't get the rest off. I did how ever soak him for quite a while and then helped him shed the rest of the skin.

I also noticed that he has feeling and is able to move the area from the break backwards, but tends to only use the muscles from the break forward. Does anyone have any idea why he would do this?
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:36 pm

The nerves are cut off. You will have to help him shed from now on.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Reptile Hospital