Regurg vs Feces

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Regurg vs Feces

Postby gekosin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 am

Might be a bit of a weird request but does anyone have pics of regurgitated pinkies compared to the feces?

One of our new babies ate on Sunday evening and yesterday while checking in on her I noticed what smelt like a poop but honestly didn't look like one and I'm just a bit worried it was regurgitated.

Or if someone can explain the visual difference??

As mentioned they are currently eating pinkies so I'm not sure if I'm just not used to seeing feces like this anymore as my other snakes are on larger items with hair and such.

Thanks
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Regurg vs Feces

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:48 pm

If it is not black and white the chances are good is a regurg. They smell different too. Regurg smells like rotten meat and is usually an elongated brown package.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gekosin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks! I will compare it to our other little guy who is eating pinkies it might just help put the mind at ease and determine if to feed this weekend or not... Thanks for the insight Bushviper
Proud Parent Of -

gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Like BV said, poop is normally black and white. Also a regurge REALLY smells bad. There is a clear difference between regurge and poop in terms of smell. It might be possible that ur temps are too high and the snake didn't properly digest its food before it pooped it out. I say that mainly because of the intense heat we have been having lately.

I hope its not a regurg and is just a weird poop. If all looks normal with the next critter you feed then possibly take the stool sample to a vet to examine for parasites or worms. It doesn't hurt to check
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Gekosin, unless you are 100% sure it is not a regurg, I would err on the side of caution and pretend it is. That means giving the snake an extra week to recover before the next feeding attempt, and using a smaller meal than normal. If was not a regurg...no real harm done. If it was...this process will help make sure the snake's system has recovered and its does not experience a repeat.

Good luck!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:47 am

After checking last night it seems it was actually 'vomit' the snake had pooped and as mentioned there is a clear visible difference... I think it was more stress related than temps... we only got them early Saturday and I fed them very late Sunday... I should have waited an extra day or two...

I wont be feeding her this weekend will just make sure to give her tub another good clean and lots of fresh water in the coming week... Any other advice maybe?

Thanks!
Proud Parent Of -

gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 pm

I always wait at least a few days (preferably a week) before offering food to a new arrival -- just safer. It sounds like you are doing all you can. Good luck!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital