Best Display Snake

Re: Best Display Snake

Postby croteseeker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Sadly, I no longer keep any boiga sp. Lost them when I went to prison....

I did keep mated pairs of three subspecies of Boiga dendrophila (dendrophila, divergens, and melanota) and B. tanahjampeana.

I'll get some more when I can afford to. They can be expensive, here in America, and I insist on good cages for my animals.

They're great snakes -perfect for arboreal displays- although some will only feed at night.

BTW, don't handle them at night. They can be a little grouchy. :lol: (I probably should have mentioned that. :lol: )
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BRB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Amazons all the way
Please join my Facebook page, "Ball Python Obsession" for all the latest news and updates

https://m.facebook.com/Ballpythonobsession?ref=bookmark

1.1 Spiders, 0.4 Pastels, 1.0 Leopard 1.0 Phantom Yellow Belly 0.1 Butter Ghost 1.1 Genetic Stripes, 1.0 Mojave Ghost, 1.0 Spotnose, 1.0 Butter, 1.0 Pinstripe, 0.4 Mojave, 0.1 Albino, 0.3 Het Hypo, 0.1 Het Axanthic, 0.1 Cinnamon, 0.13 Normals, 1.0 Firefly, 0.1 Fire, 0.3 Pastel Spotnose
BRB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 pm

BTW, don't handle them at night. They can be a little grouchy. (I probably should have mentioned that. )

Haha...some useful advice there croteseeker ! This is usually what you end up dealing with Francois...

Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boaboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 am

I think go with a diurnal snake, you want your display to be alive.
My GTP just sits there during the day and moves around at night, same with the Balls.

Look local if you can I think we have the most amazing diurnal reptiles!
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Francois » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:41 am

boaboy wrote:I think go with a diurnal snake, you want your display to be alive.
My GTP just sits there during the day and moves around at night, same with the Balls.

Look local if you can I think we have the most amazing diurnal reptiles!

I wish I could go local, but Cape Nature is quite strict with exotics, so I doubt they would even consider a permit for local species. There also isn't a lot of diurnal species kept in the pet trade in SA, but that is definitely something to consider in a species.
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boaboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 am

You never know until you try or ask, whats the worst that can happen?
If you can source a CB it will be a bit easier. But ya they can be a bit of a drag!!

Best of luck!
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

Francois wrote: I wish I could go local, but Cape Nature is quite strict with exotics, so I doubt they would even consider a permit for local species. There also isn't a lot of diurnal species kept in the pet trade in SA, but that is definitely something to consider in a species.

Cape Nature do not have problems with Amazon tree boas. They are great.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby shamroth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Capenature are quite happy to issue permits for local snakes as long as they are captive bred.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Also look at the Taiwanese ratsnakes. They are not as commonly kept and love as some other snakes, don't know why? :shock:

If you can afford a large cage and can spare the space, I believe this snake might just be what you are looking for. They are very active, very large rat snakes, that can grow up to 2.5m. They are mostly arboreal and enjoy lots of climbing space. I house 2 in a cage (2m x 1m x 900mm high) they have a large warm section and a nice big hide on the heat and one on cold side. With some climbing branches etc.They do very well together and they hardly ever go into the hide as they are always out and about. they are brightly colored and just look awesome! Also they will not cost you and arm and a leg, as they go for anything from R200 - R500 as hatchlings or around R1000 to R2000 for big adults.

Whatever you choose remember to add pics when you are done
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Francois » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:42 pm

shamroth wrote:Capenature are quite happy to issue permits for local snakes as long as they are captive bred.

I didn't know that, but getting local Captive Bred snakes is a little difficult for the snakes I'm looking for ( mostly arboreal snakes).

bubblesharp wrote:Whatever you choose remember to add pics when you are done

I definitely will.

I think the Rhino rat is the one I want to try ( I hope there will be some babies this year). A pair in a quite big natural viv will look really cool. Maybe I can even try to breed them in the future. :D
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:55 am

A snake that would look good on display and in a vivarium, I will give a few snakes that thrive in both:
Carpet python (many morphs) (You can also buy them from Bjorn Unger in Belleville)
Green tree python (would look best but not for beginners)
Mandarin ratsnake
Beauty ratsnake (Really interesting patterning and nice snakes)
Tiger ratsnake
Panther chameleon (Look very nice, are arboreal, and very active) (You can also buy them from Bjorn Unger in Belleville)
Plumbed basilisk (Beautiful animals, active, arboreal) (You can also buy them from Bjorn Unger in Belleville)
If you really want a leopard gecko you can get an African fat tail. Looks very similar to a leo and normals are around R400-R600 (Yes they are legal)
Rhino ratsnakes

Hope you take the right snake and do not rush things. Take your time to consider your options.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:02 am

A Mandarin Ratsnake is probably one of the worst display snakes ever!

They hate being exposed and die from stress quite easily. They spend most of their time buried in substrate if offered.

But the rest of your list is pretty good.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LizardLover » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Wow I really don't know why I said Mandarin. Must have been confused with another ratsnake. Thanks!
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Natural vivariums