Catch and Release

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Catch and Release

Postby AneryCobra » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 am

Hey all.
I do hope I have chosen the right place to post this and that no-one else has posted anything similar...
Can any knowledgeable person inform me of the requirements for obtaining a CnR permit and what holding that permit would entail, as well as any other useful or interesting (related) information which Is have forgotten to ask for.
Thanks
Kyle
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
1.0.0 Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Catch and Release

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:42 pm

I did a search using the search function at the top of the page and this is what I found.

"In Gauteng (and a few other provinces) you cannot get a catching permit unless you belong to a herp association. Even if you are a member and have not done a recognized handling course they will still not approve your application. Most of the time they insist that you have passed the snake bite and id course as well.

If you apply for a permit to keep indigenous snakes they will not approve your application if you are not a member of one of the herp associations and if you want to keep venomous snakes they require that you have passed a snake bite and id course.

Before these requirements were in place the answer to any permit application was usually "Reptiles are not pets, application turned down". It took many many hours of negotiation to get to this point. This did not happen overnight."

Go look there is way more information readily available on the subject.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby AneryCobra » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey, thanks for your reply and my apologies for missing that particular thread when I searched for something like it.
If i could clarify a few things?
In order to apply for a catch and release permit (from the FGASA) you need to
1. Belong to a herpetological society
2. Have completed an FGASA approved course
3. ?..(anything else)
The catch and release permit will allow you to...?
I'm very sorry if the answers are somewhere else on this forum but I am (quite unusually) being very hopeless at finding the information.
Thanks
Kyle
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Nope FGASA have absolutely nothing to do with the permit process. Permits are issued by the Gauteng Directorate : Nature Conservation.

You have to belong to a Herp society and do the courses which are approved by the directorate mentioned above.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby AneryCobra » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:29 pm

[quote="\
The catch and release permit will allow you to...?
[/quote]
Sorry if I'm not being very clear, I'm actually quite sick at the moment and going over the past couple of years in the forum is all I have to do... :(
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Bushviper wrote: … if you are not a member of one of the herp associations and if you want to keep venomous snakes they require that you have passed a snake bite and id course.

Not in the W/Cape who are the most restrictive provincial conservation department in S.A.
Question: "If a member of the public volunteers his/her assists in rescuing reptiles, while being a civil service to the province why would training not be subsidized?"
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Andrew wrote:
Bushviper wrote: … if you are not a member of one of the herp associations and if you want to keep venomous snakes they require that you have passed a snake bite and id course.

Not in the W/Cape who are the most restrictive provincial conservation department in S.A.
Question: "If a member of the public volunteers his/her assists in rescuing reptiles, while being a civil service to the province why would training not be subsidized?"

Same reason they don't give lifegaurds 2 flotation devices :-D they just don't care :lol:
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AneryCobra » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:07 am

Haha bv
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 pm

it_bit_me wrote: ... they just don't care :lol:

…and neither do the individuals running the Herp Associations who conveniently run snake course and training programs. HaHa :smt005
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Johan Marais, Mike Perry and Tony Phelps do not run any Herp Associations.

I am the only one that does that and if you were taking a stab at me you really better make more of a contribution to the hobby before your voice will make me even think if there is an element of self serving in my action.

Why not join the association and vote me out? Why not meet with government and negotiate other policies in this regard? Oh sorry you were too busy playing keyboard warrior. Your sum total of 39 posts as a contribution to this website do not qualify you to question what others have achieved.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Problem Reptile Removals