Urgent help needed - Bearded dragon

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Urgent help needed - Bearded dragon

Postby Trentonskeeper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 am

:( Hi

We rescued 2 beardies from a negligent owner this past weekend. We found an ad on Gumtree for a tank and went to see and there were 2 dragon as well but they are tiny, owner said they were 2 years old and our boy at home is 2 years old and he is a monster compared to them. They were so frail and delicate and weighed almost nothing. We decided to takes them cause while we are no experts with Dragons having only had Chomp for a little more then a month (we wanted the tank for him as its double the size of his old tank) but with these guys being so sickly I suspected the owners would dump them or drown them or something if we took the tank and not them. He gave us a box with some meal worms in it that he said he said was their diet and I did not look at the time but when I got home we set up the tank, washed it out along with all the decorations and bowls. I opened the box of worms and :shock: they have been living on 1cm meal worms most of which were dead and living in beach sand. So once we set the tank up and I gave them a nice warm bath we put them in the tank and put in some salad. They ran so fast to the food and gulped down the salad so fast, I got worried cause they were eating so much so fast so I took it out and tried offering a cricket or two. As hungry as they were they refused and moved to the other side of the tank to get away. I offered some of our 'treat' super worms thinking since that is what they were use to they may eat them and I was right, they scoffed down about 10 each.

Yes I realized I should have stopped feeding after about 3/4 but they were so hungry and skinny. Anyway they were fine and seemed to be doing really well this week. They still refuse crickets but are eating well on the daily salads and fruit. Now it turned out the tank we bought had vrot runners and once I lifted the crappy carpet I noticed the floors were chipping and not the best so we moved them (sorry this was the day after got them) and I got stuck in redoing their tank, I sanded, waterproofed, lay new runners for the glass and basically did a full renovation on the tank. I googled which glues to use and I found quite a few pages suggesting "No Nails' since its solvent and odor free so this is what I used. I ran a huge fan thru the tank for 24 hours to air and dry it and left it with all the lights on as well hoping to heat it up and makes sure all traces of smell were gone with lights blazing. I spent the day sticking my head in it to make sure it was good and I got not even a hint of a smell.

I put them back in on Wednesday and then yesterday was live protien day so offered them crickets again and nothing. No interest at all, I called my friend who works with beardies at the pet store and asked him what to do. He suggested I just give me meal worms for now since that is what they had always had an then slowly wean them off them over time. So I offered worms again, they binged and ate 10 each. Yes I am kicking myself now cause even my big boy only has like 3 in one sitting as a treat but they looked so puffed up and healthy eating them I let them get carried away. Trust me the guilt is killing me today.

They were fine for the afternoon and night and this morning at 5am when I put the lights on Lemon my girl cam off her perch and started vomiting. She puked out ll the worms almost intact. I cleaned the mess and placed her in her water bowl to hydrate and 20min later she puked again. So I removed all the stuff from the tank and ran a warm bath for her, came back and Pepper the boy had puked too. Got them both in the bath and did a full 'water and vinegar' tank clean, washed all the rocks/wood/bowls znd lay newspaper in the tank. Pepper pooped in the bath and when I put them back in the tank Lemon puked again so did Pepper and Pepper also had a runny tummy all over everything. Another bath and tank clean they are back in their tank. Called the pet store and they suggested I offer them some Poweraid or Energade to drink which I did but they drank nothing another pet store call and a suggestion to fill their water bowl with the drink and let them lie in it which I did and they are lying in it and seem to have perked up. Neither have puked or pooped for about 2 hours.

What else can I do and what could this be? The worms? The glue? Something else? If I don't feed them worms will they eventually eat crickets? Any help would be appreciated. Also please can someone suggest a Exotic Vet in Jhb North side but I'll go anywhere for a good vet. Do you think this calls for a vet visit yet? Or am I doing ok?

I know lettuce is not the best for them since it has no real health benefits but since it's so high in moisture I did put a few leaves in this morning on the off chance they eat them cause then at least they are getting fluid.

What next?

Thank you.
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Urgent help needed - Bearded dragon

Postby Lillypod » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 am

I rescued my 2 older beardies as well and while the one has started eating veggies, the other one barely ever eats veggies, they both eat worms and roaches, but also refuses crickets. I've had them for almost a year now and although they have gained weight they are not what they should be. The one almost never walks and is blind in her one eye and she only eats when I feed her by hand, she didn't have a UV light or and calcium when growing up.

I wish you good luck and thanks for saving them.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NewtTZ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am

Number one remove the sick bearded dragons away from your healthy one.

Get the sick beardies to a vet. The Craighall animal hospital has a good reptile vet no: 011 442 7361
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:51 am

They are not housed together, they are so small Chomp would eat them for dinner. So no worries there, will contact the vet now. Thank you.

Thanks Lilly.
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andre.P » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 pm

It is truely heart-warming to read how much effort you are putting into this! (Insert applause here!) I have seen some horrifying neglect and abuse to reptiles and I have rescued a number of snakes, of which a few ended up dying from septicemia (live rats and boas don't mix well). I wish all reptile owners would read up on an animal before buying one. My general rule of thumb is that if you do not even know the scientific name of the species (before you get to shop or breeder), you are not ready to get it.
Good luck with the beardies and I really hope you can pull them through!
I am not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.....
Andre.P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:03 am

Not a beardie guy myself, so not much advice to offer, but *huge* points to you for saving them from such a negligent home. I wish you the best of luck with the little pair.
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:17 am

You are killing them with kindness. Let their normal gut flora build up and increase their diet slowly. Give them some high high protein foods and a just a bit of roughage. Heat is critical. Get the hotspot will into the 30's or even 40's and I would suggest a few hours in direct unfiltered dappled sunlight each day till they are fighting fit. A wire cage under a tree will be great for them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:21 pm

I am pleased to say they seem to have made a recovery. Lemon is still pancake flat and neither are eating yet despite my offering a small cricket and meal worm several times a day just to see if there is any interest and neither are ready for them. I am keeping some shredded veggies and fruit in the tank as well although neither is showing interest I would rather it be there should they want some. Will see how tomorrow goes but their tummies have settled and today they were both more active and showing interest in happenings in the house again. :) sadly with Jozi weather i have not been able to get them in the sun but maybe tomorrow will be brighter and I can try. thanks for all the advice and help.
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital