Roaches seem to slowly be dying?

Roaches seem to slowly be dying?

Postby gekosin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Everyone.

I am currently sitting with 2 colonies or roaches, hissers and turks.

This is the first time i have kept them and am a little bit worried. It seems that every few days i find a dead roach, they are currently housed in fish tanks with egg crates and heating pad underneath.

I feed them cat food and a variety of fresh fruit (they seem to have a big liking for oranges)

Any other advice on what i can do would be great!

Just wish they would start breeding now :roll:
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Roaches seem to slowly be dying?

Postby Zane02 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 am

Did you buy the roaches as adults?If so it could be a rather old colony and some may be dying of old age. This happened with a colony of Lobster Roaches I had.Just be patient and allow the the right care to breed.

Some pointers:
Keep the temps between 27-31-higher temps encourage breeding but keeping them to high will be detrimental.
Keep the humidity up. I use a large bowl filled with water gel to do this. The gel keeps the nymphs from drowning.
Only feed them fruit once a week and only put enough in so they consume it within a day or 2.
You are doing the right thing in feeding them oranges as this also stimulates breeding.
Check your male to female ratio. A high number of males will tend to fight a lot and forget about breeding, especially hissers.

Hope that helped a bit.
Last edited by Zane02 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zane02
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am

Hi.

What size are the dead roaches that you are finding? If it is only large adults that are dying it could be a case of the older generation dying of old age.

Your cages sound like they are set up correctly, just check that temps are not to high and that there is sufficient ventilation.
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks for the feedback, will re-look at my temps to make sure they are in the correct range.

I bought a few different sizes initially sub adults, adults and even some smaller.

The ones dying are different all the time, sometimes small ones other times like last night it was a large male in the case of the hissers.

Will take a look at the ratio and maybe separate some of the males if need be. (what is a good ratio to have?)

Thanks again for the help :)
Proud Parent Of -

gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 am

I'm having the same thing but in my case it's only the adults, so it's likely just old age. I've got a few adults left but plenty of babies and hundreds of viable eggcases. Most should hatch on their own but I'm incubating about 24 or so for a little extra. Keep them warm, feed them often and don't use too many in winter. I made that mistake once and will never do it again.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks again everyone, seems its my temps that are the issue. I have heatingpads going but they not strong enough as far as i can tell. Will make a plan to get the temps up
Proud Parent Of -

gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other invertebrates