Bearded Dragon in bad shape

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Bearded Dragon in bad shape

Postby eclipse » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi everyone

Hope to get some good advice.

We've acquired a few BD's and some of them need some serious attention,
Ill post a few pictures, that makes the explaining part easy from our side and you can see whats going on.
We have no history about them so please don't ask about it.

First one has lost a piece of tail, how serious is this and could it grow back?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bearded Dragon in bad shape

Postby eclipse » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:24 pm

This one has a bad tail and also a bad back leg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eclipse » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:27 pm

This one has a bad tail, and both front "arms" are bad...

I dont think any of the "limbs" shown in these photos could recover.

They are definitely suffering, please just help us making a good choice .... :-?
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:50 pm

These wounds are all from siblings biting at and chewing the tails and feet. All of those wounds in my opinion will dry up and heal, the tails that are damaged will dry and fall off and the bitten feet will also just fall away where the body cannot heal the damage.

Those beardies will live with a missing foot and I have had babies worse than this grow into adults with stumpy legs and tails.

Regarding the wounds, some of the beardie such as the toes and feet can be saved if kept moist so they have time to heal before they just dry up.
I covered the entire foot or damaged piece of tail with bactroban twice a day and that worked for me.
Make sure to keep them apart.

Personally the one with the bad back leg I would get euthanized as it wont be able to get anywhere with one back leg, but ovecourse its all your choice.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eclipse » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:08 am

Ales wrote:These wounds are all from siblings biting at and chewing the tails and feet. All of those wounds in my opinion will dry up and heal, the tails that are damaged will dry and fall off and the bitten feet will also just fall away where the body cannot heal the damage.

Those beardies will live with a missing foot and I have had babies worse than this grow into adults with stumpy legs and tails.

Regarding the wounds, some of the beardie such as the toes and feet can be saved if kept moist so they have time to heal before they just dry up.
I covered the entire foot or damaged piece of tail with bactroban twice a day and that worked for me.

Personally the one with the bad back leg I would get euthanized as it wont be able to get anywhere with one back leg, but ovecourse its all your choice.

Thanks for the reply.

the one with both front bad arms, if it does not heal, would it be fine with only the back legs?
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 am

I've heard of bearded dragons who have no back legs who still have quite full lives, they cannot run and climb well though.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 am

Animals are extraordinary and most can adapt quite well. In my personal opinion give them a chance unless you know they will not be able to survive, even with your help and then take them to a vet to be euthanize. You can use them as an example to educate others. Show people how bearded dragons should be cared for and how they look if they didn't get the proper care from the beginning. Well done in rescuing these little ones, I wish you luck and them a quick recovery.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 am

eclipse wrote:
Ales wrote:These wounds are all from siblings biting at and chewing the tails and feet. All of those wounds in my opinion will dry up and heal, the tails that are damaged will dry and fall off and the bitten feet will also just fall away where the body cannot heal the damage.

Thanks for the reply.

the one with both front bad arms, if it does not heal, would it be fine with only the back legs?

If it loses both front legs it's going to try move around by scraping its head along the ground, which obviously will cause a lot of damage, it also won't be able to lift its head up to eat. They can hold themselves up with one leg but with no support in the front I think it would be cruel to let it live like that, what does everyone else think?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

Having front stumps will not be a problem as they can move around on the stumps and raise themselves up to eat. The substrate would have to be soft such as fine potting soil mixed with sand. Unless you are seriously attached to them and will ensure they live their entire life in your care I would rather just have them all put down. If you honestly want to look after them and provide for them knowing they cannot climb etc then they will adapt and live a long happy life.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby eclipse » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Just a little update!

We managed to pull them thru and they are both healthy and happy.
They eat very well.

Does not seem like they are having any trouble with mobility at all...
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Juan27 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 am

Well done.
They look very healthy. Keep up the good work.
www.consoleracing.co.za
Juan27
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 am

Glad to hear, and well done!!!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

New to Forums.Not sure if beardie underweight.

Postby Keyan de Klerk » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:07 pm

I am new to the forums and to keeping bearded dragon. I recently got a bearded dragon from a friend it is a female,length head to tail 30cm, weight 200g and uvb light exo terra 150 13W compact ,infra red exo terra 100W,exo terra calcium and D3 powder with veg always availible and 6 mealworms a day lightly dusted with calci powder. Hope i gave everything needed pls tell me if beardie underweight.
Keyan de Klerk
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital