Psammophylax rhombeatus

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Psammophylax rhombeatus

Postby Mehelya » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:23 am

Went out with some friends, who were doing target shooting, on a farm, and being slightly opposed to firearms, I took the hooks, and camera. Needless to say, 3 hours in the bush revealed absolutely nothing. When returning to the farm house, to thank the farmer, and be on our way, this little chap scooted across the drive-way, as we were going into the yard.

This little one was quite feisty, and was full of energy. I did notice that there were several deformities along the spine, and the tail looked like a zig-zag pattern, but it was active, and could move, so I took the shots, and put it into the veld a bit further away from the farm house, where the dogs and cats couldn't get it.

Enjoy!
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus

Postby neilbarker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Awesome ! beautiful Skaapsteker
neilbarker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Well done.

Finding nothing when you are searching hard is a common curse in the snake world :)
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Niel, thanks, it was quite a feisty little chap. Out of 20+ photos, these were the best.

it_bit_me, have you ever noticed how many reptiles you come across when you DON'T have any equipment at hand?! It's scary. :lol:
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes