Smugglers at it again

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: Smugglers at it again

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:51 am

It is rare stuff. I have only seen a picture on SArep 11 ‎August ‎2010. Anyway back on topic - burn bastard burn :-D
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chopper 1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:06 pm

I have mixed feelings on this one!! I think the jail sentence is harsh considering the fact that you are allowed to kill snakes but you can't collect them :smt011 If he was using crowbar type collecting and also in a protected area then by all means throw the book at him, but some of the comments here uncalled for in my opinion.

I wish him good luck and hope that he will be released soon.

C1
To fly is Heavenly but to hover is Divine
Chopper 1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Well they were in a protected area. What is ironic is I was offered some B. worthingtoni that are captive bred in the Netherlands and possibly came from a previous shipment of Simon's. This species is now in the trade and is being captive bred and distributed so the need to collect more actually just became less. Indirectly he possibly did the species a favour.

If Kenya thought that this action was going to protect the species more than before they missed that boat. They are still losing elephants every year and they dont have any viable rhino populations left despite what they are doing.

A little more than a decade ago people in Europe were coming to South Africa regularly to slip across to Namibia and collect the Angolan Dwarf python and Angolan coral snakes. These were collected on a regular basis by Simon and taken to Europe and some were shipped to America. Today there is ZERO incentive to come poach these two species and they have very little value. The Coral snakes can barely be sold because they are bred in their hundreds and some people I know do not bother to breed Dwarf pythons because they are worth so little. Have the Namibian populations suffered? I cannot find any evidence of that.

Very few countries do not allow exports of their wild reptiles. Australia, Kenya and South Africa are three of the countries that spring to mind. 10 years ago there were only a handful of Rough scaled pythons ever found in secluded parts of Australia. Today you can buy them on the internet for a few thousand dollars. Australia has never exported a single specimen legally but some have found there way around the world. In ten years time they will only be worth a few hundred dollars if that much.

There are a few examples of where certain individuals have actually ensured that nobody would bother to go and poach these animals and expose them to all sorts of risks in the process of getting them home because they are now available far cheaper than even just a flight to the countries in question.

If this is compared with the hundreds of thousands of pythons killed for their skins (legally) or the hundreds of reptiles killed on the roads in any National park every year then does the few animals involved really make any difference?

I am not condoning any illegal activity but if there was a legal possibility then the utilization of wildlife could be achieved with minimal stress on the environment.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chopper 1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Bushviper wrote:Well they were in a protected area. What is ironic is I was offered some B. worthingtoni that are captive bred in the Netherlands and possibly came from a previous shipment of Simon's. This species is now in the trade and is being captive bred and distributed so the need to collect more actually just became less. Indirectly he possibly did the species a favour.

If Kenya thought that this action was going to protect the species more than before they missed that boat. They are still losing elephants every year and they dont have any viable rhino populations left despite what they are doing.

A little more than a decade ago people in Europe were coming to South Africa regularly to slip across to Namibia and collect the Angolan Dwarf python and Angolan coral snakes. These were collected on a regular basis by Simon and taken to Europe and some were shipped to America. Today there is ZERO incentive to come poach these two species and they have very little value. The Coral snakes can barely be sold because they are bred in their hundreds and some people I know do not bother to breed Dwarf pythons because they are worth so little. Have the Namibian populations suffered? I cannot find any evidence of that.

Very few countries do not allow exports of their wild reptiles. Australia, Kenya and South Africa are three of the countries that spring to mind. 10 years ago there were only a handful of Rough scaled pythons ever found in secluded parts of Australia. Today you can buy them on the internet for a few thousand dollars. Australia has never exported a single specimen legally but some have found there way around the world. In ten years time they will only be worth a few hundred dollars if that much.

There are a few examples of where certain individuals have actually ensured that nobody would bother to go and poach these animals and expose them to all sorts of risks in the process of getting them home because they are now available far cheaper than even just a flight to the countries in question.

If this is compared with the hundreds of thousands of pythons killed for their skins (legally) or the hundreds of reptiles killed on the roads in any National park every year then does the few animals involved really make any difference?

I am not condoning any illegal activity but if there was a legal possibility then the utilization of wildlife could be achieved with minimal stress on the environment.

Perfect post - and the FACTS are a reality - policing something like this does nothing to help our reptiles - it just keeps the bunny huggers "fed" with garbage!!
To fly is Heavenly but to hover is Divine
Chopper 1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lilli » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:28 am

@ Chopper 1
Please do not generalise in your posts ;)
You do not know all the "bunny huggers" out there, some of us are passionate reptile keepers such as yourself...
and don't feed on garbage :smt011
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Lilli
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Chopper 1 wrote:I have mixed feelings on this one!! I think the jail sentence is harsh considering the fact that you are allowed to kill snakes but you can't collect them :smt011 If he was using crowbar type collecting and also in a protected area then by all means throw the book at him, but some of the comments here uncalled for in my opinion.

I wish him good luck and hope that he will be released soon.

C1

Standing up for him is very amicable but you have to see it from others' view aswel. If you have been sold these animals to have them die a few days later would you still call him a cool little snakeman ? I personally think him and Terence Whittle are money hungry sacks of $^%#.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:43 pm

As a general warning I would advise against protesting against them in public.
My life has been threatened numerously.
Just as such as with the drug trade fighting it is useless.

Wherever you get your animals make sure they come from a legitimate source.
That is the only way to succeed in erasing them.
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

How can you eliminate the drug traffic trade in our country when a major part of our police force is on their payroll?

It is likewise with the animal trade.
Pointless fighting someone that is doing things illegally when the people in power stick up for them.
All my attempts at weeding out a certain breeder in our country ended up in death threats and cowboys stating they want nothing to do with it.

I had enough proof at the time and it meant nothing when everyone gets a slice of the apple pie.
Rabid.Evo8691

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Quiet a few tarantula species were discovered in Brazil last year. What is kinda sublime is that exporting tarantulas out of the country is illegal but I can bet you in a few years all the bigshot tarantula breeders in the world would of acquired some. Even in our own country.

Makes you think where the root of all this is sourced to.....or who it is that are the culprits
Rabid.Evo8691

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Rabid.Evo8691 wrote:As a general warning I would advise against protesting against them in public.
My life has been threatened numerously.

That is a problem on its own . People like you are just as lame as the guy handing out threats. You expect others to stand up to them after you've made them so use to getting away with it :smt015
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't see your attempts doing any justice so before judging others take the splinter shard out of your own eye first
Rabid.Evo8691

Previous

Return to News and Announcements