New future snake owner with questions!

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Re: New future snake owner with questions!

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:42 am

Have you given your daughter a chance to handle one ?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby robyn21 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Yes, my daughter regularly handles her friend's corn snake which is lovely and friendly. I just thought that they might grow too big, even though this corn snake is already 3 years old and quite tiny (which contradicted what I read about them). Thankfully, I have managed to distract my daughter from getting a snake immediately through bribery and corruption (other xmas presents), and she has agreed to wait until next year sometime, until I've done further research and so on. This permit thing seems like a pain - do you get the permit when you buy the snake or do you have to apply afterwards? Is anyone aware of a pet shop or trustworthy person in Hermanus that sells reptiles?

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice and information!
Robyn
robyn21
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 pm

When you buy the reptile the seller applies for a transport permit, once that's issued you can go fetch the snake. Then you apply for a captivity permit, and that's a permit to keep the snake.

I don't know of anyone in Hermanus, but it would be worth it to take the time to drive to Cape Town, so you can check out Reptile Garden.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jussi » Mon May 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Well i have a checkered garter snake and she really is an amazing snake, you cant go wrong with one and they have such personality sorry cant find how to post a piic but she is really cute
Jussi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joshhowell94 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Robyn
I agree with Kenyan Sand Boas, they don't grow too big, with males growing to about 45 cm and females topping out at 90cm, they are very docile, babies are quite hard to feed so try get a yearling or one that is about 6 months old. They come in a few different colours(morphs) so you can choose the morph you like. They do borrow so you won't as much as you would other snakes, but they are very easy handle and have a very gentle temperament. They are slow moving when handled compared to other snakes. I have 5 sand boas and my girlfriend who doesn't particularly like snakes and use to be quite scared of them, now holds my sand boas all the time and has grown quite attached to them. And they pretty much don't bite ever. Garter snakes are very jumpy, they almost hop around in your hands and they are very quick, so this makes them hard to handle.
1.3 Kenyan sand boa
1.0 Brazillian rainbow boa
1.2 BCI
1.1 Corn snakes
Joshhowell94
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes