Scaly credit check

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Scaly credit check

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 am

Got a referral from Bushviper last week Friday which had ended in quite a unique situation. The snake had been found inside a branch of a bank just North of Pretoria. After following up the following morning and not locating the snake I forwarded the following to their Area Offices...

"To whom it may concern.

Upon receiving a call from *said bank* Head Office on 22nd November 2013 at 16:18pm from (011) ***-****, an urgent matter relating to a snake at the *said branch* at *said address* was brought to my attention. Arrangements were made for me to personally visit the branch the following morning at 07:30am to conduct an investigation into the matter.

We (my wife , Driekie Kok and myself) were met at the arranged time and place by the branch Manager.

After we had completed a thorough inspection and search of the area as well as the locations where the offending animals had been reported to have been observed, the following conclusions and suspicions are noted. Also attached find a detailed incident report for your records compiled by my wife whom is a qualified Occupation Health and Safety Officer.

Conclusions:

There were no snakes found present at the time of the inspection, however digital photographic evidence was presented, proving the presence of the reported snake from the previous day verified by time and date stamp (apparently being one of two). The photograph showed a person (unknown to me as he had not been present) holding a snake in both hands. The snake could be identified with relevant accuracy as being a brown house snake (Lamprophis fuliginosus) which is a common non venomous species indigenous to South Africa. Unfortunately, due to the quality and nature of the photograph this can only be an apparent identification. The second snake was not located and whereabouts are unknown.

There seemed to be no evident way in which the snake(s) could have entered the facility without human intervention (explained in the section below relating to suspicions raised.).

The area and location the snake(s) have been reported to have been found at, on that specific date, as well as in the past is only accessible by Nedbank staff members and is completely off limits to the public.

Suspicions:

1. Snakes never travel in pairs or groups, always solo except for circumstances such as male combat, courting and mating during breeding season, or a clutch of hatchlings or newborns. None of these would have been applicable in this event as the snake in the photograph is not of breeding size nor is it a hatchling (should the identification hold). Even if this would have been the case it would be a near impossibility as the behavioral pattern does not fit nor would the surrounding circumstances allow for this. During breeding season, female snakes release a scent trail which males detect by a keen sense of smell and follow this towards the female. This would imply that the female would have entered the premises unencumbered or detected by anyone through the front entrance, moved all the way to the back of the branch, entered the area off limits to the public, would have taken up residence in a cardboard box inside a locked cupboard and then be followed by a possible suitor (male intending on mating with the female), also faced with the same obstacles as the female.

2. By information gathered from various employees this has been the third time this has occurred. The increase in size of the snakes (2x small, 2x larger and 2x largest currently) raises suspicion and concern.

3. The "pair" found in the box were found in a locked cupboard with both snakes entering the same box when there was more than one box present.

4. The nearest outside entrance pertaining to the location(s) the snakes were reported to have been found was the rear safety door which is impregnable from the outside.

5. In the extremely unlikely event of two snakes entering the premises from the outside on their own accord, they would not do so simultaneously and it is a near impossibility that they would then travel towards the same exact location.

6. None of the surrounding shops or facilities have ever had any snakes found within or even mere sightings close the premises (even the ones directly adjacent on either side).

7. Apparently an employee from a closely located facility had appeared on scene to remove one of the two snakes. The person whom removed the snake (in the provided photograph) is unaccounted for and no enquiries could be directed towards him with regards to the motive of the removal or the current whereabouts of the snake in question.

8. It is a very likely possibility that, should the responsible person(s), now be aware of all these suspicions, that future occurrences would either cease or that there will be a change in the pattern as the actions have been detected and that there is now an increase in awareness.

These are my own personal observations and professional opinions compiled from years experience in the field of Herpathology (the study of reptiles and amphibians).

Should you have any enquiries in this regard please feel free to contact me without hesitation.

Kind ragards

Quintin Kok
(084) 634 8030
Quintin.kok@gmail.com"
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Scaly credit check

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:35 am

Also recommended that the branch check security footage in and around the time that they found the snakes as well as prior to check for any suspicious activity.
Nasicornis

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:30 am

That is very strange, as I'm wondering what the guy was trying to achieve by doing this?

Maybe he wanted access to a certain area for a visual assessment to determine if theft is possible?

Sjoe, thanx for sharing, not something we read about every day. It would be very interesting if the person who removed the snake could be reached for comment.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 pm

The manager said that she would let me know if they find him and keep me updated. Naturally some of the politically correct employees feel that all this was a failed assassination attempt (via non venomous snake), but obviously the entire situation is kind of unsettling whatever the motive.
Nasicornis

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:57 pm

In all the rural areas where I have worked, guys told me stories of sangomas sending snakes to kill people and they could apparently even tell the snakes who to kill.

Of course it's all hogwash, but I don't think this could be the case here, because why would the guy send the snakes just to go collect them again himself? He clearly knew that they were non-venomous.

I think it's a case of staking the bank out and trying to get a better view of the interior of the place.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pytoxic » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Maybe it was a prank? I don't think so though, I certainly wouldn't do that in a bank.
Thanks
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mental-tree » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:28 pm

1)Release non venomouse snakes
2)"Arrive" on the scene, capture the snakes and invoice the bank for snake removal
3)???
4)Profit
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Originally they wanted us to access the bank after hours with just one or two security guards present. I suggested they wait till the next day. This could also have been a ploy to raid the bank when they would be pre-occupied and have minimal back-up as well as being able to disappear into the night far more easily and have far less witnesses around.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Problem Reptile Removals