Frog ID, Noordhoek Dunes

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Frog ID, Noordhoek Dunes

Postby Zeiphex » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:36 am

Hey guys, saw a two or three of these little guys on the dunes at Noordhoek beach (the Chapman's Peak side) on New Year's eve, and wasn't too sure what they were so snapped a few pics (and because why not take pics if you happen to have a nice zoom lens with you ;) ). They were all a white colour and covered in sand, with a general shape kind of similar to a Cape Sand Frog, though all the photos are of the same frog. The pictures make it look bigger than it was - about 3cm. Any ideas as to what this little guy could be? Happy New Year by the way :D

Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Frog ID, Noordhoek Dunes

Postby Sico » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm

It does appear to be a species of Tomopterna (sand frog) but offhand I am not familiar with the cape species.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks Sico! Could they be juvenile Cape Sand Frogs (Tomopterna delalandii) perhaps? I thought of that when I first saw them but the only images I can find of the juveniles show them patterned like the adults. These little ones seemed to be all white - could they perhaps fade out their patterning to match the sand?
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:58 pm

A lot of frogs will change their colouration to an extent based on time of day, temperature and somewhat to the specific environment they are in, Chiromantis for example are often brilliant chalk white during the daytime, and a brownish grey during the evenings. This may be what you are finding here, but I really don't know all that much about Tomopterna doing the same thing.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians