Snake identification

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Snake identification

Postby samantha_za » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi,

Could someone please identify this snake. Unfortunately the quality of the photo is not that good.
First sighting was yesterday, but my son says the one from yesterday was bigger. This one looks like a "mat" charcoal/black/grey colour. Belly is redish/brown. Cant really say.
Will go out later again to get better shot. (same spot yesterday so it might return)

it's really thin and about 45cm long.

Thanks in advance.
Samantha
(Randfontein, JHB)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samantha_za
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake identification

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Hard to say for sure form the picture but it looks like a Brown house snake.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby samantha_za » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Thank you. Will take a better pic if i see the snake again. If its just a house snake, it means i can just leave it right?
samantha_za
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Colinh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:40 pm

yes if it is a brown house snake you can leave it. It will sort out your mice and rat problem. It is rare that you find venoumous in your area. You would have seen if it was a Rinkhals or Puff adder they frequent Randfontein
Colinh
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Problem Reptile Removals