Vapona PLEASE HELP

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Vapona PLEASE HELP

Postby Rock python » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Hello everybody

I ready need some advice. I have been having trouble with mites so have been told to use Vapona to kill off the mites. I used one slab of vapona and cut the stripes into 3s and then placed the stripe pieces into plastic containers with large holes into all my 24 snake enclosures in a 4m by 4m reptile room.

The problem is that since my mom has come home she says she feels light headed, has a weird taste in her mouth and feels that her heart is racing. Do you think it could be the vapona causing this? and if so do you think it could harm my snakes (only one window open in their room).

Any help would really be appreciated.
Rock python
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Vapona PLEASE HELP

Postby iiviii » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Read on the bottle about cautions and warnings etc. I don't know anything about the product so I can't help you on that part. But if you are afraid that this is the case then remove everything and wash your cages out with komodo anti mite (has been discussed on the site before : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32465 )
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Savu » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 pm

I used to use vapona blocks without any problems. I now use carbodust,and it works well.
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:26 pm

You should only use a small amount, like a few slivers in a jar.
Seal the rest up to be used again at a later stage.
Remove the water bowls whilst you are treating.
Wash out all cages, wash snakes and vacuum the room, walls, curtains thoroughly.
Replace substrate.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby messenger » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:10 am

Hello Rock Python. I think I accidentally sent off my reply to you before completing it, so am starting again! Vapona is an organophosphate poison used as an insecticide and also in human and veterinary medicine. Accurate dosage is essential, as the safety margin is very small indeed. This means, in practice, giving a precisely measured amount to each individual patient whose body mass is known exactly - something quite impossible to achieve simply by putting a bit of Vapona strip in a cage of unknown volume containing an animal whose mass has not been very precisely determined.
Vapona is absorbed by all routes, such as skin, lungs and gut.
It is what is called an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Acetylcholine is a chemical that allows a nerve impulse to pass from the end plate of a motor nerve into a muscle fibre, thus causing a contraction. As soon as the message has been transmitted, the acetylcholine must be destroyed by an enzyme, acetylcholinesterase, to allow the nerve to resume its resting state in readiness for the next message. If it is not destroyed, neuromuscular function grinds to a halt - and so does the whole animal! Vapona acts by preventing the enzyme from destroying the acetylcholine.
Acetylcholine is found not only in the junctions between nerves and muscles throughout the body, but also in neural synapses in the brain, and in red blood cells. Too much Vapona is really not a good thing at all ...
Non-lethal overdoses of Vapona are treated in the same way as poisoning by organophosphates in general, but this is something that must be done by a vet. The outlook for Vapona poisoning in reptiles is not great.
One other thing - Vapona is fat-soluble, and can be stored in the fat bodies of reptiles for quite a long time. When the animal starts using up its fat reserves, Vapona can be liberated and cause signs of poisoning long after exposure.

I hope that this helps.

Messenger
messenger
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital