corn snake morph identification

corn snake morph identification

Postby JJward7 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Good day all.
I am no too good at corn snake morphs but to me they look like motleys and then albino motely and the one normal albino please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Re: corn snake morph identification

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah, I agree with your IDs. The first one looks like an Amel ready to shed, second is a Normal Motley and then the last one an Amel Motley.

In the future if you are wondering if a Corn is Motley or not, just look at the belly; Motleys have clean white bellies.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby JJward7 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:32 pm

Sweet yeah I know I was just checking because of the stripe or is that normal in motleys
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Yeah, many Motleys also have that striped pattern, but it's still a Motley

Motley is dominant to Striped so even if your snake was homozygous Striped, you would be unable to see if; you would only be able to test it via breeding tests.

Or that is how I understand it.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby JJward7 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Sweet thanks man
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby delta » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:15 pm

The first one is unrelated to the striped motleys, its father was an anery X cremsicle and its mother a normal albino.

The second two are the offspring of an albino motley male X a normal female 100% het stripe and het snow.
This pairing gave me normals and albinos with half of them being striped motleys. I suspect that if these striped motley's are crossed with either a striped or a motley mate, 50% will be striped motleys and the other 50% either motley or striped, depending on the other parent.
If crossed to each other I suspect 50% will be striped motleys, 25% striped and 25% motley.

Two sisters het stripe were mated with the same albino motley male, both clutches produced only striped motleys and normal patterned babies. I did not find that the motley gene dominated the striped gene, but rather that they were co-dominant giving me all striped motleys.

I am led to believe, if I have understood corn genetics correctly, that the motley gene and the striped gene sit on the same locus, thus to be a pure motley or a pure striped, the corn needs two motley alleles or two striped alleles. Crossing striped with motley gives the offspring one motley allele and one striped allele which clash on the same locus, producing a snake that displays both striping and motley characteristics with neither completely dominating the other, as both are recessive genes the one cannot dominate the other. If the motley gene did dominate the striped gene, then the production of striped motleys would be an impossibility. Babies would be either motley's het stripe or striped.
Thus I would conclude that any motley with striping or a mish mash pattern is not a pure motley, but also carries the striped gene.
delta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:38 am

Sweet thanks Delta that really helps me out. i was always a little confused about the motley and stripped morphs.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)