Shedding Problems

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Shedding Problems

Postby Ironfire » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:15 pm

I have had my Brown house snake from the 1st of January this year. In this time she has shed twice but each time I have had to wait 2-3 weeks and even then her skin would become "loose" but it just wouldn't come off so I had to leave her in her tank with a wet towel which usually does the trick within a couple of hours. What could be the problem as I am getting concerned that she can't shed naturally by herself. :smt017 :-?
Ironfire
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Shedding Problems

Postby Primogen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 pm

It could just be a simple husbandary issue.
What Substrate are you keeping her on?, also are there any rough surfaces she rub against in the tank to start the shed?
Could also be there is not enough humidity.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ironfire » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 am

There should be enough rough surfaces for her. I've got one of those sticks but maybe a extra thing will help. What would you recommend? I am using Aspen snake bedding. I live in Cape Town so the humidity has not been great but my friends snake is shedding with ease. :smt017
Ironfire
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:36 pm

I would double-check your humidty, as the response above suggests. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital