Complaint against SPCA

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Complaint against SPCA

Postby Shaun » Sun May 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Who do we lodge a complaint with if against SPCA ?
Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots.
Shaun
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Complaint against SPCA

Postby iiviii » Sun May 04, 2014 2:22 pm

That would depend on what they have done wrong. Maybe give us a few more details so that we could point you in the right direction.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun » Sun May 04, 2014 2:54 pm

A couple of year’s back CapeNature gave animals (snakes) to the SPCA when they did not have the facilities. The animals were removed them from a register rehabilitation facility to a NON facility out of spite alone. The SPCA did not even have a rehabilitation permit to do this.

CapeNature have granted the Cape SPCA a rehabilitation permit but lack infrastructure. No heating pads or heating facilities. No hide boxes or proper facilities to keep reptiles.
The vet that represents the SPCA is the chairman of the board so has a conflict of interests.

Removing an animal (property) without the permission of the owner is in itself a criminal act. It’s understandable if the animal is removed for its own safety but if you leave you’re Ball Python with a neighbor for safe keeping. Only to find that the neighbor has a vendetta against you and hands the animal (property) over to the SPCA with false accusations of animal cruelty.
The neighbor does not need proof but can cause you to be drawn into a lengthy legally battle through out dysfunctional court system for years. This while your animal(s) are being kept at a facility without the correct husbandry care. Etc.

There are lots of issues such as the SPCA demanding a “release” fee for an animal to be returned to its rightful owner. Animals according to the criminal procedure act are property. The demand for a “donation” is extortion.
Shaun
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 05, 2014 9:01 pm

It would be the easiest to just lay a charge at the local police station. Then they will investigate and it should be solved.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Shaun » Thu May 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks Arno. I've spoken to an attorney last week who has refured me. Today I've booked an appointment to potentially sue.
There are legal things happening that are time consuming but as I successfully sued the SAPS a couple of years back I am positive this will be very favourable for me.
Shaun
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions