Some more stuff from this Spring

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Some more stuff from this Spring

Postby croteseeker » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Like the Title says, this is some of the stuff I've managed to photograph this Spring.

Bufo americanus

Rana sylvatica

Pseudacris crucifer (calling)

Success! :lol:

Chelydra serpentina

Storeria occipitomaculata occipitomaculata

Opheodrys vernalis

Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis

Thamnophis sauritus septentrionalis

And, just for fun...

Happy herping, guys. Thanks for looking. :smt006
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some more stuff from this Spring

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 am

Great stuff Croteseeker.

I always love seeing the wide variety of terrapins/turtles you guys have in the US.

This is the first time I am seeing Storeria occipitomaculata. They have very strongly keeled scales reminding me of Garters. Can you please tell me a bit more about this species?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:06 am

Great shots!. Beautiful area this time of year, what are the temps like there at the moment?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby croteseeker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 am

Froot, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Temps are currently hitting a daytime high around 26C.

Thanks, Westley. The Northern Red-bellied snake (S. o. occipitomaculata) is a small, fossorial species found in many Midwestern and Eastern American states. They grow to a length of about 40cm maximum and feed primarily on worms, slugs, and snails. They're commonly mistaken (in their black form) for Ringneck snakes because they have a bright red or orange belly. Aside from the black/gray phase in the photo I posted, there are also red and brown phases, some with more than one dorsal color. Here are a couple more photos from last year of some of the other phases out there:

" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:00 am

Thanx for that! Pretty little snakes! Are the as commonly kept as Rough Green Snakes?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Exotic reptile observation records