ATC 300 set up help

ATC 300 set up help

Postby SABOAMAN » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:27 am

Hi Guys

I bought an ATC 300 thermostat some time ago for a cage building project I'm busy with. I installed everything but I seem to miss something. Connection 1 is for the heating pad and connection 2 on the timer for a light. So the question is: How do you set the time on the unit? I could get the on/off time done but how does the ATC 300 know the time? The instruction manual is not very helpful on the "time" function only that it can be set to switch on and off at a set time.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Rudolf
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Re: ATC 300 set up help

Postby Mitton » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:07 am

If you want the timer to run for lets say 12 hours, 6am to 6pm, you set it for 12 hours and you just turn it on at 6am, it will then know to run for 12 hours and then switch off for 12 hours.
If there is a power failure, you will just have to switch it on again the next day at 6am.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby SABOAMAN » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks Eugene

I will use the unit as a thermostat only and get the light wire to my other timer unit that runs the other enclosures and fish tank lights
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 am

The fact that you can set time durations on it means that there is a timer circuit in it, why you cannot set a reference to GMT, a timezone specific time, mystifies me. The hardware is all there, once again software programmers suck as well as the knob that approved their code.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:31 pm

You cannot set the time on the ATC 300, it does not have a clock, just a timer.
You can set up the timing function, and it works well, but you have to put the lights on manually the first time.

To set:

Hold TIMER button until the display starts to flash.
The first flashing number is the length of time the lights are to be on.
Once this period is set, you push the timer button again and a new number will appear, this number is the period of time the lights are to be off.

NB: Timer will not work if the two numbers do not add up to 24hours.
EG: For an 8 hour lighting period the first number will be 8, and then the second will be set at 16.

Once this is done you will have to wait until the time you want them to come on, then you press the timer button once and the lights will come on for 8 hours, and off for 16 hours automatically.

So if you decide that you want to show your snakes off and use your lights in the evening for a bit, you will have to go back to your room and put your lights back on in the morning.

It sounds complicated but they are dead easy once you get the hang of it.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks for all the help. I will go and setup the system over the weekend and see if it works :D
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques