Local Snake Park visit

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Local Snake Park visit

Postby Manson » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

I went to a local snake park whilst on holiday at the coast, was quite an experience.

Kids hanging around the open black mamba cage
Black mamba
State of the art locking system for the black mamba cage

Nice to see a pitch black boomslang

This Kid got a good squeeze

Some local finds on the beach

God said, let us make human beings in our image, in our likeness so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals and over all the creatures that move along the ground.....Genesis 1:26
Manson
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Local Snake Park visit

Postby Westley Price » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Great stuff.

I think your black Boomslang might be Thrasops jacksonii. Honest mistake coz they look near identical and even have similar habits!

It seems like the children must spend quite a lot of time around the park if they're even willing to hold one in their mouths, haha.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Just another day in Africa mate..

The black boomslang, is that not more likely Thrasops ?

There are some hidden funnies in this post. You are a nasty person. Nasty, nasty ;)
The kid getting the squeese had me in tears. And then I felt absolutely horrible and guilty after seeing the next image.

The snakes actually look very healthy and well looked after, shows you.
Don't judge. It's not your place.

Pretty agama too.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Manson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:24 am

Hey,

I am sure that this is a black boomslang, I have seen Thrasops jacksonii and they have a different head structure? From what I understand Thrasops jacksonii are not found in the area (Kenya South coast) and apparently these where all caught locally.

It was quite refreshing to see that these kids where accustomed to the snakes and where so interested in each one of them.
Was not trying to be nasty at all it’s just a different culture than what we are used to, these guys are actually just trying to make an honest living.

You are right the majority of the snakes where in relatively good condition so I was quite impressed.
God said, let us make human beings in our image, in our likeness so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals and over all the creatures that move along the ground.....Genesis 1:26
Manson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Hey Manson,

I don't know enough about Thrasops to confirm any of that, and as I was not sure of where this was, assuming your profile information was correct, I also thought of the fact that it is out of its range. I think it's just sort of instinct to assume people are talking about Thrasops when you hear 'black boomslang'.

You misunderstood mate, and I was just kidding anyways :) it is good to see children with an interest in snakes.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:56 pm

I like the scientific name of the Black Mamba on the enclosure ;)

Kenya has always been on my "to-do" list but after the string of recent attacks, I will have to postpone until I am more comfortable. Are you at all influenced by the attacks?

Would love to see Pancake Tortoises in the wild!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Manson » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:39 am

Hi Wesley,

It’s a very nice country with great people and wildlife, no these attacks have mainly been at the coast in Lamu but have not affected us.

Would also love to see a Pancake Tortoises, maybe we will one day when we go on a camping trip in their area.
Manson
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records