new legislation on invasive species

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

new legislation on invasive species

Postby sandboa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 am

Hi all, does anyone have any info on this new list of invasive species? I see corn snakes are on the list. Is there any way we can appeal this list or protest it? And if not how would the permits work if we had to get them? Where would we go to apply for the permits in Gauteng ? Thanks
sandboa
SA Reptiles Member

Re: new legislation on invasive species

Postby Viper_SA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:39 am

I'm still trying to find the damned list, any idea where to find that?
Happy herping :D

My Gallery: http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/index-25579.html
Viper_SA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sandboa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:49 am

sandboa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 am

from what i can tell Corn snakes are Category 3 so they are exempt? Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 am

I am so tired of this. Please DO NOT contact me as I have no details, and have no interest in finding out more details and basically I am washing my hands of this entire project. Tarantulas are legal as are all feeder insects. If you own a red eared slider you have to kill it. If you own any of the following you will need a permit. Burmese pythons, Carpet pythons, Brown basilisks, Rattlesnakes, Panther chameleons, Tokay geckos and a few others. If you live in KZN. Mpumalanga, Eastern Cape and Limpopo you will also require permits for Green iguanas, Nasicornis, Rhino vipers, Amethystine pythons, Boa constrictors and green basilisks.
As far as corn snakes are concerned the way I read it that just means you may not release it or import it without a permit. That is rather stupid because that is already stated in the act. This species was never part of the discussions so once again we were lied to.
Nobody can tell me who the issuing authority is or when this all kicks off and how long we have to comply. For all intents and purposes just carry on as normal until we have more clarity.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Inyanga » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:03 am

A bit like e-tolls eh BV? Don't blame you, there's rather a few surprises here, the way I read it you will also need a permit for your iguana, your gaboon viper, your sulcata tortoise (previously illegal?) and your boa constrictor in Gauteng too... Looks like ferrets are not at all on the list at all, does this make them legal? According to the definitions you will not be allowed to breed or sell your corn snakes either. These regulations are supposed to kick in in two months time, but the so-called "management plans" are not yet in circulation so what now?
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:04 am

Oh, and if you have any stick insects either, don't let them lay eggs!
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sandboa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks bushviper, I will do as you say, thank you for helping, I don't think anyone thanked you.
sandboa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:21 am

I will second that @sandboa, all thanks to BV, this sort of thing is never fun...
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sandboa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 am

Hopefully we will get some clarity before this bill comes to pass
sandboa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dr Dill » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 am

I did not have the guts to kill all 8 of my red ear sliders so i just released them into a dam near me its right near the river i released my 4 iguanas and 11 rattlesnakes do not worry as I am sure they will all be fine and live happily ever after.

Just joking everyone :-D I was just showing what stupid people do and the reason that we have these laws in place as in a country like ours many exotic species will thrive and wipe out our indigenous animals.
Dr Dill
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sandboa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:06 pm

Just a quick question, Are we supposed to look at the gauteng regulation or the nemba regulations list?
sandboa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sandboa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Another question, What does category 3 of the list mean when it says? (1) Category 3 listed invasive species are species that are listed by notice of terms of section 70(1)(a) of the Act, as species which are subject to exemptions in terms of section 71(3) and prohibitions in terms of section 71A of the Act, as specified in the Notice.
sandboa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:23 pm

I see they snuck Boa constrictors, Gaboons and Nasicornis into the legislation for Gauteng as well. Obviously they cannot be trusted and their word is meaningless. I know my co-operation is going to be ZERO in this regard. We had an agreement and they broke it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby sandboa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 pm

It looks like we aloud to keep corns but not breed and sell them, unbelievable
sandboa
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities