Basilisk seems to have broken or swollen limbs

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Basilisk seems to have broken or swollen limbs

Postby JulesBasa » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

I have a young female basilisk between 7 - 8 months. A few weeks ago I thought she may have broke her back leg as it was swollen by her joint and what looked like a layer of shed. However it did not bother her. Now her front left leg is swollen as well and what looks like a shed again. I am wondering if it is a fracture or a break.
The reason I don't think it could be MBD is because I feed her a varied diet with calcium and d3 supplementation, she has the correct lighting and her and another female have a large outside cage for day time basking. Does anyone know what it could be? :?:
JulesBasa
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Basilisk seems to have broken or swollen limbs

Postby Blake » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Shed restriction maybe?
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:47 pm

JulesBasa, can you post a photo, please? I'm not an expert with this species, but a photo will really help those that are.
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JulesBasa » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Hey thanks for the replies. Well I got concerned so I took her to the vet and it turns out she has gout :/ I have started bathing her twice daily and giving her medication for it. She is currently eating 2 -3 small crickets a day and all her shed is off. So shes a vibrant green again. However the vet suggests that if the medication has no effect on her after 2 weeks that we may have to put her down :( Apparently they either recover brilliantly or not at all. She is still perky though :D . What would your suggestions be? If the meds to work I don't mind doing them for the rest of her life. She also only weighs in at 25grams at 7 months compared to my slightly plump female who weighs 180 grams :o They suggested a diet ......Bastards. I will post pictures now of the baby so you can tell me what you think.
JulesBasa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JulesBasa » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:37 pm

I cant attach a pic. The allocated file size is waaaay to small :/
JulesBasa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:08 am

Right click on the picture, and select open with. Choose Microsoft Picture Manager (Most Windows computers). If you have a mac book, then I can't help. After the picture has opened, right click on it again, press edit, and a menu should appear on the side. One of the options should be called re-size, press on that one and then predefined with and height, the biggest size is acceptable, I use the 800x600 resolution though, cause the pictures upload faster.
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:22 pm

On a Mac, there are many apps (freeware or inexpensive shareware) you can download that do the same thing. I'm sure they have a built-in option too, but I've never used it as I have along-time favorite download.

And good luck to your little one!!!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital