Keeping Green Tree Pythons together ??????

Re: Keeping Green Tree Pythons together ??????

Postby Mitton » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 am

I would not keep them together. You might get away with it if you do but there are a few things to take into consideration.
First of all, they don't need massive cages, you can give each an Exo-Terra cage that won't take up too much space. You can build a nice rack or shelf that these cages can stand on. I keep my adults in the 60x45x60 cages and they do very well.
When they are adults, feeding them together can be a huge problem, they will certainly all sit together at the best temperature spot no matter how spacious the cage and not apart. It is not easy moving these snakes and moving them might stress them then they won't eat. If you give them a big enough cage that has more than one heat source then you might as well get separate cages.
They are a bit more nervous snakes, so they might be bothered by a cage mate and then not eat. If stressed they might also strike out at a cage mate.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Mitton, I didn't realize adults are that small. In that case this is the next species I'll be adding :)
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakemanjayd » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Mitton wrote:I would not keep them together. You might get away with it if you do but there are a few things to take into consideration.
First of all, they don't need massive cages, you can give each an Exo-Terra cage that won't take up too much space. You can build a nice rack or shelf that these cages can stand on. I keep my adults in the 60x45x60 cages and they do very well.
When they are adults, feeding them together can be a huge problem, they will certainly all sit together at the best temperature spot no matter how spacious the cage and not apart. It is not easy moving these snakes and moving them might stress them then they won't eat. If you give them a big enough cage that has more than one heat source then you might as well get separate cages.
They are a bit more nervous snakes, so they might be bothered by a cage mate and then not eat. If stressed they might also strike out at a cage mate.

Thanks Mitton.
Haven't heard from you in ages.

What you are saying does make sense.

I was hoping trios would work.
Also one big cage would look much better than a few smaller ones.

I am trying to move away from racks.
I will be more of a keeper than a breeder and really want to see and show off the snakes, obviously not to the detriment if the animals though.

I might have to give up and keep them separately.
snakemanjayd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 am

If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Green tree pythons (Morelia viridis)