Eastern Leopard Toad?

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Eastern Leopard Toad?

Postby pirata » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:56 am

Toad1.jpg
Good morning all

I've been told that I have Eastern Leopard Toads in my garden. There isn't a huge amount of information on Google about them other than they reside in the Eastern Cape.
The only problem is I'm in Johannesburg..
Is it possible that the ID I received is incorrect?
If not, I have a small problem. They've given birth to a large amount of tadpoles in my pond. They have no natural predators so I'm watching them all growing well. Can I catch these and release them into a water system in Johannesburg or is this discouraged? I am not looking forward to a toad infestation and the noise that goes with it.
Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pirata
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Eastern Leopard Toad?

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:47 pm

The ID is certainly incorrect. I'm not very into amphibians but it's definitely not a leopard toad. Most likely a raucus toad or something common in your area.
Toads lay eggs, the tadpoles then hatch from these eggs.
You will absolutely not have a toad infestation, just because you don't see any pradators doesn't mean they are not there. Leave them in peace and mother nature will sort things out.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Pirata

As Predator said, you will probably never have an infestation, but the noise from even a few toads can be quite loud. I for one, love the sounds of frogs and toads around the house, but each to his own.

As for the ID, I think those are Guttural Toads (Amietophrynus gutturalis) due to the fact that it has the dark patches on the snout forming a pale cross and the reg bum.

I use A Complete Guide to the Frogs of Southern Africa by L. du Preex and V. Carruthers for my IDing.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pirata » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks so much for your feedback guys.
I've had someone ask me for the tadpoles to release into some damn on their farm. Is this OK? These toads are not invasive or destructive in any way?

PS, I see something has been 'culling' them off in the last week. There are less in the pond.
pirata
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pirata » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:46 am

I also learned that the guttural toads have that distinct line running down there back.
pirata
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 am

I would not advise you to distribute the toads to your friend's farm. There are just too many risks involved which are often unseen.

Many of the Amietophrynus and other toad species have this line running down their spine so I dont think that would be an accurate method of ID.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pirata » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:56 am

Westley Price wrote:I would not advise you to distribute the toads to your friend's farm. There are just too many risks involved which are often unseen.

Many of the Amietophrynus and other toad species have this line running down their spine so I don't think that would be an accurate method of ID.

I thought as much. I'll just leave them in my pond as is then.
Thanks so much for all your advice and knowledge. I've learnt quite a bit just on 4 posts.

I'll be ordering my book very soon!
pirata
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians